G5 PowerMac update loooooong overdue!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pdxdude, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. pdxdude macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #1
    I'm ready to buy a new PowerMac to replace my decrepit old Quicksilver, so when are the new G5's coming out? The current stock is getting pretty long in the tooth, and I can't imagine they're going to stretch this batch out until June - that would be crazy. ;)

    There *must* be something that's going to hit the streets any day now. C'mon, spill the beans. You insiders know who you are. When can I get my Dual G5 3Ghz?

    Is 3Ghz by next Tuesday too much to ask?

    Paul
     
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #2
    And the best bit? When they do finally get their arse in gear and deliver on the already WAY overdue dual 3GHz, it'll be another 6 months from that point until anyone actually has one! :rolleyes:
     
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #3
    I don't get the feeling that there will be a significant update to the PM line any time in the next couple of months. The dual 2.5 GHz PM, which constitutes rev. B, has really only been shipping for a bit over 5 months. I got mine in mid-September.
     
  4. pdxdude thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #4
    Yes, but for us cranky folk who remember how the whole G5 thing started, the 2.5 Ghz was *itself* long overdue, as we were promised "3 Ghz" by last summer. Now, I'm willing to forgive, but I can't forget where we were supposed to be long ago. The 2.5 Ghz was thrown in as a bone to tide us over for the 3 Gigs. I'm still waiting. Good god, waiting so long. :)

    Seriously, it feels like we're about a year behind where Apple thought we would be. I figured they would have worked out those kinks by now, and be shipping at full capacity. Is that just me?

    Paul
     
  5. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #5
    they had 2.5 ghz on the refurb today in UK for £1600 dam bargain wish i could of got one .
    PowerMacs seem to be on there way ,when apple want to release them is anyones guess
     
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #6
    OMG don't tell me that!!!!!
     
  7. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #7
    yep crying time
     
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #8
    [​IMG] ARGH! MY EYES, MY EYES!!!!
     
  9. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #9
    yep even i'm slipping i used to check in at the refurb store every wed 10am but seems i am slipping got there around 11 and the best had gone
     
  10. relimw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    SC
    #10
    Well, I broke down and bought a Mac mini to tide me over until the dual 3's get here.
    At least I'll have a machine I can run 10.4 (legally) on. My dual 500's are just plain tired...
     
  11. AnewMac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2004
    Location:
    The Northern Plains of OK!
    #11
    Just buy one. I waited all last year until after WWDC. I was driving my wife nuts everyday checking prices and rumors, save some sanity, and pull the trigger. How much speed bump percentage is there from 2.5 to 3.0? Once they do introduce them it will be another month or two before you actually have it. Then I get to read threads about how my dual 3 hasn't shipped yet, and how terrible Apple is. BUY THE DANG COMPUTER! My 2 cents... :)
     
  12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #12
    I couldn't agree more. Playing the waiting game is no fun at all. I did it when I bought my PowerBook 667...and got burned badly (I got the old model instead - the salesperson didn't seem to understand that their shipment of the new PowerBooks hadn't come in yet, and I was a newbie to Apple's product policies at the time. That led to me joining these forums, and by extension this post...)
     
  13. pdxdude thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #13
    Well, you're right about the speed bump - not a huge difference. But what about the price drop? If I buy a 2.5 now, and then in a week or two the price is $500 less or, god forbid $1000 less, I'm going to be a little ticked.

    Besides, my gaming, er, I mean my design work *needs* the speed that 3Ghz will provide! :)

    C'mon, chant with me: 3 Gigs, 3 Gigs, 3 Gigs...

    Or, a rain dance. Whatever. Still waiting.

    Paul
     
  14. relimw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    SC
    #14
    Not much, but most of us that were going to buy the dual 3's weren't starting at dual 2.5's either.
    The dual 3 was going to be my first G5 machine.

    Besides, Steve promised :p
     
  15. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #15
    Always buy 7 days after an annoucement and not a second sooner or later.
     
  16. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #16
    I was checing every day - and finally pulled the trigger on a refurb 1.6 for $1199 (fine for my casual use). Leaves me $ for extra HD, Memory and Video card - bringing it about the price of a refurb 1.8 - I think mine was the only on listed - it was removed right after I ordered.
     
  17. pdxdude thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #17
    I think you're joking, but that's actually good advice for those of us who get nervous about the "next release."
     
  18. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #18
    I keep hearing this a lot, but for someone who wants the low end model (currently looking at dual 1.8, but would love the dual 2.0 for the same price) can we really expect any delay? I know new products are hard to stock (just look at the mini), but the low end model PM should be already in supply.
     
  19. pdxdude thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #19
    Yeah, that's right. I've never seen a delay on the lower models, unless it's a complete line revamp. In fact, usually the models that are already in stock at apple and at other stores just get re-priced downward the same day to match the new line-up. I usually buy the re-priced model since it typically has a little better specs than the model that replaces it (i.e. the old "middle" becomes the new "low-end", etc.).
     
  20. amoildani macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    #20
    i keep seeing the refurb'd 2.5 on the site for $2599 and the 2.0 for $2099, and im wondering, how much lower will it be when they get a new update? I doubt too much lower
     

Share This Page