G5 PowerMacs MWNY -- Read this...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by j763, May 1, 2002.

1. j763 macrumors 6502a

I'm just fueling the rumor fire here, but...

I had a quick look around the Apple Website and noted that the G4 iMac is on the main iMac page at http://www.apple.com/imac , whereas the G3 iMac's page is http://www.apple.com/imac/g3 . If Apple were to release a G5 PowerMac at MWNY, the logic that would follow would be that the G5's would be on the main powermac page, that is: http://www.apple.com/powermac and the G4's page would be http://www.apple.com/powermac/g4 . Well... here's where it gets interesting. I thought I'd type in http://www.apple.com/powermac/g4 and suprise suprise, it redirects me to the main powermac page _but_ here's the main point: they've already set up that directory ready to move the G4 page onto it. Therefore, I'd expect to see some new PowerMacs soon (mwny is best bet probably) -- not G4s... If you try going to http://www.apple.com/powerbook/g4 or any other model computer, you'll see a Page Not Found message.

Interesting! The G4 PowerMacs will be moved to a subpage for something bigger and better.

Did I hear someone say G5? I think we can put aside rumors of a Quadruple G4 PowerMac for now...

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I just checked it out and you're absolutley correct. Very curious indeed...The only problem I have with this is that its so far from MWNY to get the site ready for updates. Could it be that G5 is coming out for WWWDC? I doubt it but hey....It could happen

3. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

That is some kicka$$ thinking. I am impresed.

4. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Why the PowerBooks before WWDC?

Well, even it is unlikeley... you never know! Why would Apple release the new PowerBooks one week before the WWDC? Maybe to concentrate on something even bigger that's gonna be introduced? Would be too good to be true...

Imagine SJ would show MacOS X 10.2 on a PowerMac G5!!!! I know, I know... but isn't it allowed anymore to dream once ina while? ;)

groovebuster

5. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

6. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I have a question.

How long have you been doing this? I mean, have you been checking this daily for a year now, or is this something you just tried out tonight and it worked.

If today was the first day they changed it, then new wonderful machines are afoot!

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well done! This could definitely be taken as a sign from Apple themselves that we're due for a change very soon.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i read a rumor right here in Macrumors that Apple was going to change the look of their site. maybe that's all they are doing, i think it's a little too early for the G5's. although i would love Apple to prove me wrong.

9. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

... or have too much time on their hands! ;)

10. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

That is indeed a nice theory, let's hope that we'll see an updated powrmac lina any time soon now.
    very nice thinking;)

11. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Oh my, that is not really compelling evidence IMO. But I'm sure it was a great timewaster :)

12. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

the MPC7455 is the same chip used in the G4's. the G5's would have to be way faster than 1.2GHz.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

motorola isnt going to put the consumer g5s on their info pages or roadmap until they are released by apple.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Why the PowerBooks before WWDC?

Your dream might actually come true...say he previews MacOSX v.10.2 and at the same time he shows off the new G5 but only as a preview...with no solid specs...just form and general info...then Apple would have built enough suspense to keep us happy until the time it is released...but thinking about it again, if they do demo a G5, it would kill G4 sales because everyone will be waiting for the new one...but anyway...

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Apple is changing their thinking

I think that Apple is changing the way that they are releasing new (and updated) systems. It used to be that they'd wait unitil one of the big shows and WHAMMO! Now, in addition to the shows, they seem to be introducing new products at special events and just whenever. I think it has something to do with the stock price letdown whenever a MW begins.

They're trying to train us to not expect everything at a Macworld event. Training us to expect the unexpected.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Apple is changing their thinking

Oh and all the hype right before MWSF was nothing? 'Way beyond the rumor sites' I think was one of their taunts on the home page.

I think that you're mostly right here. They don't want to do small updates, incremental speed bumps and such at a MacWorld. They want to save the keynotes for something much bigger. They haven't been doing any self-hype for WWDC, so who knows, time will tell if they've got any surprises for us. But lets also wait and see what happens right before MWNY if the G5s or what ever haven't come out by then. I believe that for a big item, the new LCD iMac is a good example, that they'll want as much hoopla as possible. For the new PowerMac Desktop, you can almost be assured it will happen at a large event. But there's nothing stopping Apple from calling a press conference either.

18. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Psssstt!

G6(previous. known as G5) + OSX 10.2 64-bit version

G5(RapidIO,DDR 1.6 Ghz,32-bit) + OX 10.2 32-bit version

Don't say I didn't tell you so :p

19. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I'dd already settle for a improved architecture which offers faster system bus, faster RAM and stuff (those should be preparations to implement a G5 chip in future Mac hardware) that way, the DP G4@1Ghz, would outrun even that AMD DP 1800+ monster.(ugly piece of ...)
    and then afterward Apple just plugs in the G5 chip itself and boooom byebye wintel suckers.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Posting such a thing without backup doesn't really count for much even if you're right.

Let me guess the G5 is previously known as the G4, but it has all the mobo chnages? Motorola has a couple chips that have the rapidIO based on their e500. You can see that on their pages, but its a totally different chip than the G4. Shovel some more dirt here....

21. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

AGREED!

I'm in the market for a new tower but I cant get myself to get the Dual 1GHZ. I just feel like I should have a faster bus and faster RAM. I really hope they at least have this in the new towers. I'll be so happy with it if they do. If not...I'll still buy but I won't be so happy. I just cannot afford to wait any longer if I want to get any work done. Silly 603e....I want OSX!

A reworked G4 architecture that has a faster bus and uses DDR if fine with me.

22. j763 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have _that_ much time on my hands

Yep...

Actually I was on the Apple Hardware page and noticed the URLs for the iMac G3 + G4 when my cursor was over them, so I didn't waste much time. And how the hell do you think I'd find "compelling evidence" on Apple.com of something they're trying to keep secret??? Although, I do think the information is quite interesting, to say the least. I would be very suprised if we don't see a new processor soon (again, mwny is best bet, but a demo @ wwdc is still possible).

:D !

23. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if the chips are 64-bit, then they do NOT have to be "way faster". They could go down in MHz and still sell. The Itanium is still barely hitting a GHz.

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Apple is changing their thinking

That's exactly what I meant. The big stuff will still be reserved for the Macworlds, but they'll keep pumping out stuff all year long.

This is a smarter way to introduce stuff as there won't be a huge letdown when Apple doesn't meet everyone's ridiculous demands. Keeps the stock in check and Wall Street likes that.

Plus, when they get everyone thinking with this mindset, Apple will be more comfortable. I'm saying this because, currently, everyone waits until MW to buy new stuff. Kinda hurts sales of current stuff. If people are unsure when Apple is releasing stuff, there would be a more steady sales stream.

Agghh, that's my opinion.