G5 Preview Page Found

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by merman637, Jan 21, 2002.

?

What do You think ofe the G5 Spere Idea?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2002.
  1. G5 Sphere Floating......Cool!

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Could Be Cool With Some Design Changes.

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. That is the stupidest design i've ever seen.

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Why Do I Bother?

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. merman637 macrumors member

i don't know about you guys but whoever this was came up with a great page and the design he has i
    LOVE...of course specs are going to be behing but the idea of the cordless G5; usb firewire (gigawire?), monitor, etc. (excluding power of course) is great and the idea of a combo dvd-r AND dvd-Cd built into a seemingly floating sphere........I love it FIVE STARS nice copy of the site too......kindof
    here it is for those of you who didn't catch it
    http://www.imotep.be/home.html

2. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

no replies

what noone wants to tell what they think?

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

<yawn>

it looks cool.....but it's old....

so it's quite possible nobody is interested...

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

5. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

6. cornelius macrumors regular

7. merman637 thread starter macrumors member

last year as in when you were in grade school and you said see you next year just before christmas break or last year, a year ago:confused:

8. Six macrumors regular

Well, although its creative, there are a lot of problems... since im a lazy lazy lazy guy i'll just make a quick list and stop using punctuation

it would have to be huge

steve doesnt like drives on their sides now he said they are too slow

no expansion and g5s will appear in pro models which need expansion

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

10. JOE40 macrumors member

HOW OLD ?

I thought it was so cool when I first saw it.
    I was fooled into clicking a couple of the links (airport, G5 Specs, etc.)
    It is at least 4 ~ 6 months old from what I remember.

But, good find, I thought Apple Legal had them take it down off the web or something. I was earchig for this last week and could not find.

Makes me wonder if they would ever bring back the cube. I don't know why... :rolleyes:

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm trying very hard not to laugh my ass off right now...

12. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

G5 Sphere..

This might be a contender for replacing the cube.. as most unsellable Mac.

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

more

That thing is more than a year (12 month year) old. I first saw it on a japanese site like 1 and a half years ago. It didnt have all that fake text crap... just the picture.

And, hey, if you take out those ugly plastic things which hold the sphere up, and cut the thing in half, stick a lcd screen... what do you get???

The iMac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irmongoose

14. Onyxx macrumors regular

ouch

cordless computer? tell me, if you sit between the computer and the recieving monitor, where are the radio waves passing through? YOU! And to transfer enough information to the screen to give you half decent refresh rates (yes i know its an lcd but i don't remember what lcd are mesured in) with a decent resolution (no less than 1024 x768) , that would have to be a pretty damn powerful transmitter. Think deep fried or at least over baked. you know all of those warning signs on high powerd radio equipment? guess why they're there.
    If apple ever made something like that (and they won't) it would be pulled in a week. Besides who wants a cordless lcd screen on a pro machine anyway? I have a powerbook for that and I garante that it won't fry my liver if I turn my back to it and it has a longer range than that cordless lcd:D .

15. Onyxx macrumors regular

more ouch

just read some more of the article. surfing from upstairs in you bed while the main machine is downstairs? so much for kids huh? that would be an intersing law suite. my computer made me sterile!

16. synp macrumors member

Ouch?

Like others here, I have seen this before. The page is very well done and looks very Apple-like.
    they really should add at least one more USB port because that's what the real Apple does these days.

I don't agree with the "ouch" posts, though. Transmitting a moving high-res image is equivalent to, say, four channels of television. I don't think having four TV transmitters close enough for your set to pick them up is making you sterile.

Now let's do some numbers: a 1600*1200 image has 2 million pixels. To have true color this requires 6 million bytes. For a decent refresh rate we need 25-30 images per second or 180 million bytes. This translates to a little under 1.5 gigabit per second.
    Supposedly we could use some mild compression (remeber, this needs to be real-time) and get this down to 0.5 gigabit per second. Transmitting this would require a frequency of at least 1 gigahertz. That means using microwave radiation in the L-band or S-band. Don't quote me on this, but I think they need line of sight to work. I'm not at all sure they can penetrate floors.

I don't know of any wireless technology for home use that can do what is suggested here.

17. JOE40 macrumors member

Wireless Monitor

Radio Shack makes a device that runs @ 2.4 gighertz just like some of the relatively new cordless phones.
    It transmits TV signals from one room to another TV via wireless.
    I've often wondered how to adapt this to my Mac. It has COAX and S-VHS inputs and outputs so it would work with the older AV- style Macs. But that was never really a 2nd or primary monitor output. No vga inputs on the 'Shack setup. :(