1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

G5 pro 2GHz 4gb ram lepoard 10.5good for cubase5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by studio51, Sep 30, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

:apple:New to the Mac world bought a older G5 / have lepoard 10.5/ will instal cubase 5,1/ universal audio cards /1by 2/
    Bfd midi drums and grove agent/ was wondering if this is a good machine for the money/this will not go on the net/:apple: got it fairly cheap/will be useing steinbergs audio csx816/will it be better than my acer inspire/will my uad cards will there even be room thanks Kevin

2. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, formatting paragraphs is a good start.

That aside, just make sure your expansion cards work inside a Powermac G5, aka they are PCI or PCI-X for older models and PCI-E for the last G5s made.

3. macrumors regular

Pay attention to what kind of slots your power mac has (pci x/pci express).
    Keep an eye out for possible leaks if your model is watercooled.

4. macrumors newbie

thanks for the info

Hey guys thanks for the response was wondering what you also thought of the performance of that machine/it came with four megs of ram says upgradble too 16 / this is my first mac and I am hoping for a continued life with a mac /I do music recording only/the forum here seems great thank you /:)

5. macrumors 6502a

If it's the last G5 variant, which I guess it must be if it can take 16GB of RAM, it will be about two-thirds as fast as the current 2GHz Mac mini. Also, it will not be able to run Snow Leopard as it is PPC based. 2/3 of a mac mini is respectable but not the powerhouse that it once was. What will you be doing with cubase? I suppose if you're running lots of virtual instruments or effects it's going to get bogged down.