G5 Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by *Y*, Nov 1, 2004.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Lately my cousin has been having problems with his Powermac G5. He bought a single 1.6 last year. It was very unstable, now he got it exchanged for a dual 1.8. However it still crashes. Is it a whole Powermac line problem or maybe bad luck. Does anyone else have these problems or is it just him. Any help will be appriciated. ;)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My Rev. A dual-2.0 rarely crashes. Once every few months, maybe, and I'm on it all the time.

Perhaps he has "non-standard" software installed?

3. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

thats funny because me and my boy talked a buddy of ours to getting a mac. he buys a g5 dual 1.8 and the thing freezes up on him and wont run software such as handbrake always crashes or just freezes and stops and he cant force quit. is there a keyboard command/shortcut for force quit apps. Anyways he restored his whole hd last night and now he came across today he woke it up while she was sleeping and click available on ichats and it just froze up again. he called up apple and they repaired the disk through his install cd and the woman said if anything else happens she will give him a serial number and to bring it to the apple store and they will look at it. I have had a powermac quicksilver g4 for about 3 years now and she runs great. i had one major crash and that was after i moved from os9 to osx shortly after that i had to use disk warrior and all but it restored all my files and i was back up and running . Nothing major since .

4. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

My 1.6 problem.

it's option-apple-esc

I am starting to get problems too on my G5 1.6 powermac. Starting to get slow while running Adobe CS and Illustrator. iChat is not working properly. After it sleeps the fans keep running and I have to manually select sleep from the apple menu. It's annoying. It just seems the perfomance is getting worse...

Only 6 months old too!

Applecare is getting a phone call tomorrow.

Cheers.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I also have a dual 2.0, and I can attest that it's quite stable with the sole exception of Azureus (which exposes a software bug of some sort with all DP machines and causes kernel panics).

Out of curiosity, is the machine running the latest version of everything--10.3.5 with the rest of the stuff Software Update suggests? If so, it's possible there's a hardware issue, but a software problem seems much more likely--either some sort of system extension (if your friend is into tweaking with his system), or perhaps just a corrupt OS install in need of a reinstall.

If a complete reinstall with all the updates (and no system-level tweaks installed) doesn't fix the issues, then it's likely hardware-related, but until that gets tried it's hard to call.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Have you guys with the singles run the firmware updates? Supposedly they have something to do with sleep and fans.

7. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Something weird too...

If I lightly put pressure the front top handle I can hear the computer change noises, like it is putting stress on it or something. This is strange. Adobe does not repsond well anymore...

What is happening!?! :eek:

8. clr900 macrumors regular

I used to have that problem with azureus but if you turn on the option for slowly connect new peer connections I believe that is what solves it. Since I have done that I have not had any problems. Anyways, my computer is not very old but has been running pretty much rock solid.

9. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

that'd be bad luck. ;)

10. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, he just might do that.

11. coldspot macrumors member

coldspot

Macs are pretty disappointing. My last computer was a PowerMac G4. It used to crash everytime... After that, I bought a PC, and he NEVER gave me problems.

Low price + High quality = PC ;)

12. bux macrumors regular

I would like to rephrase that ;)
    Low price + Poor quality OS (unless you go with unix) + zero design = PC

And for Macs:
    Normal prices + High quality (everything) + Design = Mac

I don't know what drugs people are using but, I haven't had a single crash (not even a application crash) on my computer and it's very fast and I couldn't be anymore happy :)

13. coldspot macrumors member

coldspot

Why do you think Windows XP is a poor quality OS? It attends all my necessities and never gave me headaches. And I never had problems with security.

If the Macs have normal prices, high quality in everything and design, why is it used only by 3.1% of the computer users? Oh, maybe the people don't want to spend 800 dollars (for the eMac) when they can buy a better PC for less, which does EVERYTHING a Mac does.

Design? In my opinion, only the PowerMac, the iBook and the PowerBook are cute. The iMac G5 and the eMac are horrendous, absolutely ugly pieces of ****.

14. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

If it attends your needs, than that's fine, everyone should work with what they are most happy about, but don't try to push your opinion to other people, everyone can have its own, if we think os x is better, so be it, that's how it works.
    They may cost more, but not everybody wants the cheapest money can buy, some people do look at other things, designwise, the os, etc.
    Again, that's YOUR opinion, not someone elses.

15. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Why are you even on a mac site?? Go play with your new PC friends. Ive had nothing but problems with PCs over the last 10 years and nothing ever goes wrong with my Powermac! So There!

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If he had the same 3rd party memory in both systems, it could be the memory.

However, it could also be the software loaded onto the machine.

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a Rev B Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 and the only time I've had it crash on me has been when I was using Azureus, I removed this app and started using something else for bittorrent and it hasn't crashed since. I also have an iBook G4 rev A which was very unstable, but this turned out to be hardware related I got the logic board swapped out and it's been perfect ever since.

18. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Oh dear, calm down children. No-ones going to solve this problem. I'm typing this on XP, I have an iMac in the next room and my windows computer dual-boots into Suse Linux. All 3 OS's give different problems at times, and they all have their own advantages. At least they can (almost always) talk to each other with TCP/IP.

19. colinet macrumors 6502

Absolutely. I got one of the first batch of dual 2gig G5s to arrive in Australia. I use it every day very heavily and it had NEVER crashed once.

Photoshop has crashed several times and so has Word (but being Micrsosoft, I assume the crashes are programmed into it) - Note to Apple PLEASE bring out an Office replacement. I downlaoded a freebie called DeepSix which I run before starting Photoshop andthat has almost but not quite stopped the crashes.

But machine is lovely but not as lovely as my 23 inch HD cinema display.

20. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

my powermac has crashed 3 times since I bought it and all of those have been either been after I woke from sleep and rushed to connect with my crappy speedtouch modem (which is crap) or when i tried playing a 1.2 gig movie file i was mid way through downloading in Azureus.

I've been using it for over a year now and really can't understand how people can say its unstable because from m experience its been flawless. The only slight problem that i have had was when i upgraded to 10.3.5 and the fans went loopy. Bu that was solved within 2 weeks.

My brother uses a windows PC and says that although windows XP isn't perfect its quite adequate for his needs. Fair enough, but I wouldn't say that coming to a mac forum and preaching about windows. Thats not a great idea, just a friendly piece of advice! ;)

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Read the 'tar.

I never have any trouble with my iMac or PowerBook. Only one kernel panic on the PowerBook due to some RAM that wasn't quite set in all the way. iMac is rock steady.

PeeCee... crashes or a program crashes every 20-30 minutes. Whoops, time's up, lets go fine Control+Alt+Delete now... ;)

22. JiGGm macrumors newbie

JiGGm

i'd say the truth most likely lies in the middle. Bottom line for me, and I'm a PC user, is that in 1994 microsoft agreed to publish the Office Suite for Mac as long as microsoft made an office suite. In return, Macintosh gave microsoft much code for its developing operating system, which became known as windows 95. Much of the jump between the GUI of Win 3x to 9x can be attributed to Macintosh.

OS X systematically should be more stable, because it has far less devices (video cards etc... ) that applications need to support. Its like the Xbox, runs damn great because everything is the same (almost) and they only have to write for one architecture. So I'd put my money on the mac.

Also, its probably not the computer thats unstable, it might be the user thats unstable.

23. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Whatever fits your needs. I have used a PC for 10 years and recently switched over after I was about to throw XP in the trash. Not really because of the operating system itself, but due to viruses, worms, incompatible drivers which caused freezing, and a whole host of other things that come along as baggage when you buy into Microsoft products. And not to mention the cronies that are just dying to bring the software to its knees every day through hacking, and are becoming quite successfull. This last Microsoft Service Pack 2 destroyed my system which was the last straw.

Then came the Mac. What a refreshing experience. None of what I just mentioned and the look and feel of the operating system screams sheer professionalism. Funny, I used to think that about XP when I first got it and of course before I had ever worked on a Mac. Windows is truly a "rip off" of a more advanced, carefully thought out operating system. I can see that now and look at XP's icons and operation metaphorically as the local carnival on the corner versus the world's fair, which of course would be the mac. Windows icons look almost cartoonish in an amaturish kind of way. While the Mac, from icons to windows, is about as professional as it comes. This of course also extends to the well thought out cooling design to the work of art that can be called the CPU. Gone are the days of removing the side door of the PC, of which I had built by the way, and looking at a mess of wires and exposed circuitry that I called a computer, hoping that it would work after I had piece mealed it all together. And talk about boring designs. Just about all of the cases look the same! Antec's cases are considered the best and they are BORING!!! How bout, let's throw a neon light inside and spice things up!!! Yeah...whatever...

Gamers are usually the only ones that attack these Mac forums, and they aren't considered "professional" users anway. Go buy an XBox or Playstation 2 and give up the PC as you probably don't use it for much more than internet surfing and games anyway. There are cheaper alternatives.

A Porsche will get you to the same location as a Yugo, but the ride and experience is exhilerating in the Porsche, but the Yugo is just another everyday experience..hum drum. You can compare in the same way with the Mac (Porsche) and PC(Yugo). Just depends on your tastes....mansion or trailer park..you decide... :)