G5 Promo Video

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by simX, Jun 23, 2003.

1. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Hey, would anyone with QuickTime Pro mind posting the largest version of the PowerMac G5 Promo video somewhere? Whenever I try to download it via other means (like via the Info window in OmniWeb), it just downloads a 4K advertisement thingy for QuickTime. I wanna save that movie on my hard disk.

Any takers? :bambi eyes:

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: G5 Promo Video

Sorry but it's some strange form of streaming file and it won't let me save it or for that matter preload it. You will have to use a compatible browser with the Quicktime Plug-In. Why aren't you using Safari anyway?

3. simX thread starter macrumors 6502a

simX

I *AM* using Safari with the QuickTime plugin. I just need someone with QuickTime Pro who can use the little pop-up menu to save it as a movie.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It won't let you. I have Quicktime Pro it is some sort of secure stream.

[edit]I was able to get the movie to load completely and then save it. You can get it off of my computer here just right click the link and save to disk.[/edit]

5. simX thread starter macrumors 6502a

simX

Oh, I didn't realize you DID have QuickTime Pro. Grr... I hate it when you can't save movies.

How did you manage to save it -- with what browser? I tried doing that in Safari, Camino, and OmniWeb, but they all saved the 4K QT ad thingy.

Whatever. Thanks a bunch for the video. Downloading it now. :)

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Or just get it from here. :)

Edit: Never mind, the link seems to dynamically change or something.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well in the past few tries I couldn't get it to preload the movie. It always loaded as it played and if I paused it it would stop loading. Well something happened this time and it overplayed the stream and stopped itself and then continued to load. Once it had loaded completely I just saved to disk.

Let me know when you have it. I don't really want to host it so once you have it I'm going to take it down.

8. simX thread starter macrumors 6502a

simX

Weird. It sounds pretty much like what I did... I wonder why I couldn't get it.

Anyway, I've got the video, so you can take it down now. Many thanks!

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Your welcome. It'll be up there through the night just so you know. I went to delete it and it said it was in use even though I don't have any player apps open. I have to assume that someone else is downloading it at the moment so I'll take it down first thing in the morning.

If someone else wants it let me know and I'll consider putting it back if a better server option hasn't opened up yet.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Arn - do you have enough bandwidth for this or not? thanx

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You'll probably have to PM him he doesn't read all the threads there just isn't enough time.

12. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

give me some 2 hours. i ll download it and put it on my server .
    20 mbit is all i have on that one so please be gentle with it
    it s called g5 intro *something*480
    have phun ;-)

http://www.luxadmin.org/~bhentges/movies/other/
    it will be there by 22 gmt or so. have a nice day + night.
    cya

edit1
    p.s it got 75 mb and a little bit. as long as it hasn t reached that size please don t try t stream it as the result might be that the server will start to hang. ( or at least apache ) thx
    edit2
    k people make it 2230 gmt... my dsl is to slow on upload.. around 10kb... sorry for the inconveniance.

13. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

your welcome.
    could you download it ?
    what was the speed like ?

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

i know on my beige bomber in 9, you have to fiddle with a few settings, but then you can save any quicktime (non stream) movie by right clicking and saving to disk... but the movie has to be completely loaded, and you have to have it set up right in the preferences...

matt

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Do you think Pixar did the CG work for the video? (not the Finding Nemo bit, duh, but the technical stuff?)

Methinks they did.

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just started a download just so I could give you a speed result. I'm maxing out at about 120KB/s. I usually average 180KB/s or higher so I'm not the limiter. That's pretty good you have a good server I think. I have know way of knowing if anyone else is downloading or using youre server simultaneously though.

17. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

only 120 kb ? strange.
    maybe i have to work on the international connection a bit. here in luxembourg i get about 1 mbyte /sec up and 1 down, sim...
    pretty strange. thought the server rarely uses over 500 kbytes per seconds.. the average is about 500 kbytes..