G5 Quad Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shred444, Aug 23, 2005.

1. shred444 macrumors newbie

Im running a g5 dual 2.0 with a dual monitor 19'' display using both dvi slots in the back. I now just bought two more displays and im trying to use them through a pci video card in the back. I bought a radeon 9200 PCI dual monitor card...does anyone know if this will work? has anyone tried running dual video cards with a mac? I know it works for a pc....but thats a different story.

- shred444
    commotiondesigns.com

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As long as you have bought a Mac card, not a PC one this will work fine, although I don't have a G5 to try it with.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

There has been some pics here on the forums......PM with 3 ACD displays with the PCI card for the 3rd ;)

5. shred444 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea its not a very high end card....it can handle some gaming and most 3d apps. so i dont think this will be a problem

does anyone know where those pics are?

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the 9200 only has one dvi port and one vga port so if your useing flat panels you'll want a second 9200, and it'll be faster.

7. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Does anyone know if its possible to have Quad monitors and have a G5 that still fully support Core Image on all screens?

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if you flash a pci 5200 it would work, but i have only heard of one report of it working, most of them use strange roms, also the 5200 is generall slower than the 9200 but not the 5200 ultra.

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

10. shred444 thread starter macrumors newbie

what is flashing a video card? is that like flashing the bios?

im pretty sure the 9200 can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. some games of course would be out of the question, no doubt.

11. erroneous macrumors newbie

I have a 2x1.8G5, with a 6800GT main card (recently replacing a 9600XT) running 23" and 20" Apple Alu panels, and a 9200 pci secondary card running a 17" 1280x1024 Sharp lcd (needed a panel with a secondary VGA input to switch a PC through). Sometimes had the TV out on the 9200 running through a TV elsewhere in the room which I guess makes four. :)

The 9200 doesn't support QE by default, so I initially found having it active slows down the Expose/Dashboard transitions on all displays. If you force QE on the 9200, then Expose etc run fine, but large-area screen updates on the 9200 display are relatively slow; if I place a Safari window across the join between my 23" and the 17", spacing down a large document - eg, an LJ friends page - clearly lags behind on the half of the Safari window being output on the 9200 17" display. Playing avi/divxs, or an EyeTV output window on the second panel causes the video run at about half the normal frame rate. Reducing playback window sizes helps, but it's obvious that QE isn't coping well with the PCI interface. Effect seems true under Panther or Tiger.

Keep meaning to turn QE back off again, to confirm the lack of acceleration improves video/redraw performance, but well, I like my expose transitions. :)

Upshot, you can do triple/quad monitors, but don't expect too much from the displays on the PCI card.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

My MDD runs three displays on an AGP 9800 and a PCI 9200, and I could easily add a fourth if I wanted to. It works just fine, and it shouldn't be any different in a G5.

13. shred444 thread starter macrumors newbie

very nice. i like to hear good news. i should be getting that 9200 pci card by the end of this week, so ill keep you guys updated

14. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

How much memory does your 9200 have? I was also thinking that the PCI bus might be a bottleneck but I was hoping enough memory and thus a bigger buffer to work from would reduce the limiting bandwidth of the PCI bus.

15. erroneousuk macrumors newbie

It's an ATI Radeon 9200 Mac Edition 128M.

16. shred444 thread starter macrumors newbie

just as a follow up: i got one of the monitors. it works great, one problem though. sometimes itunes gets a little choppy if i move windows between video cards. not sure if i can adjust the settings to account for this.

Attached Files:

17. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

you from Pepperdine?

18. WillMak macrumors 6502a

damn. thats pretty pimp. I thought you wanted to hook up for monitor not three tho? Can you watch movies on one screen, do work on another and have websites open on another without any slowdown?

19. shred444 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, Northeastern University in Boston

my 4th is coming in a few weeks. Samsugn doesnt make these anymore so they are hard to track down