G5 Quad transplant into 2.3 dual core

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ault45, Jun 25, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I have a fully functional 2.3 dual core that is pristine. I also have a 2.5 quad that has serious case damage, but other than that is 100%.

My question is what all need to be switched out to put the quad in the dc case since all of the components inside the 2.3 are good?

Thanks

2. macrumors 65816

adcx64

You might run into problems with the logic board standoffs inside the case. You should double check this, before starting anything.

3. macrumors 65816

I would think it makes more sense to find dead 2.5 somewhere that you can transplant the working one you have into. Your going through all that trouble to take perfectly working computer and possibly you screw it up by the transplant. Then your left with no working machine could just be me but I think that would be the best route to take.

4. macrumors 6502a

I believe all the late 2005 machines have identical cases. The swap should work. Older cases will not however.

5. macrumors 68020

zen.state

Good advice. Listen to this guy. It's also very easy to find dead G5's. They die often.

6. macrumors 65816

adcx64

ain't that the truth!

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors 6502a

Very expensive when you find a good condition one, though. I couldn't justify $150+ for a mint case, so I had a go at repairing mine.

Just depends on how anal the OP is about their Macs:p

9. macrumors regular

I dont know much about the g5 but why would the op want to go out and spend more money on parts that he already has? I would attempt to transplant the computer if you know what your doing. If it doesnt fit put them back.

10. macrumors member

The 2.3 is a much more reliable and desired computer over the Quad due to its air cooling. The only selling point to a Quad is its processing power. Keep the 2.3 as-is and sell the Quad. The money from both will buy a good Quad with a few hundred $ left over.