G5 rackmounting solutions?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jjblair, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jjblair macrumors newbie

Based on looking at previous discussions, I should explain why some of us want to rack mount our rig. Most of us who use our Mac for audio apps like ProTools keep our CPU in Marathon racks right next to our A/D converters and LVD racks. The reasons are simple. First, coaxial cables carrying word clock should be no longer than 18", LVD cables can't be more than 24", and space is at a premium in most recording facilities because of all the other gear in there. Also, a lot of us like to use soundproof enclosures to eliminate the sound of the fans from the CPU, drives and/or expansion chassis.

The problem with the G5 design is that audio racks are 19" wide. 3rd party solutions for the previous towers required removing the handles. The G5's handles are not removable, and with the handles the unit measures over 20". This one design issue has kept a great deal of studio owners and musicians from purchasing a G5. In fact, I would upgrade from my dual 1.2 ghz mirrored door in a heartbeat if the the studio furniture which I've spent lots of dollars and a great deal of time customizing could accomodate the new housing.

So now that you guys who have previously answered, "why would you want to rack mount it anyway?" hopefully appreciate our reasons, does anybody have any solution to rackmounting the thing, short of cutting off the handles? Is Apple aware of how big a problem it is for so many of us? Do they have any plans to do something about it?

Pro audio is one of their most dedicated consumers. I'm really surprised that they didn't think about this.

2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I know it would take up an enormous amount of space, but you could mount it vertically. Although the other half of that rack would most likely not be used, at least you would have a rack mounted G5. Not sure if this is feasible or not, but it's just a suggestion.

3. jjblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I already thought of that. Not enough room available, really. I'd have to expell all the other stuff from the rack.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Could you possibly wait for a G5 XServe? Or would expandability be more of a problem with that one?

5. jjblair thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought about that. All I need is one AGP slot and about three PCI slots. If they can do that in an X Serve, I'm all over it. I just wonder if the X Serve will run in a dual 2 gig or more model, plus be price competitive with the tower. A dual 1.3 G4 server costs more than a dual 1.8 G5 tower. That part is a bummer.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

In the same boat

I'm in the same boat, at least partly. In the studios that I run, much of our 3rd party audio gear won't even run on G5s without serious upgrades, but I have thought about the rackmount issue quite a bit. It would seem to me that Marathon had a good and quite simple solution to the problem of racking the G4 towers. But with these built in handles, I think the only option for horizontal mounting would be a different enclosure all together. This will be trickier with the G5 due to cooling issues.

All in all, I'm surprised that these "Pro" machines are not easily adaptable to "Pro" setups.

I would avoid the G5 XServe, even if it does come soon. The G4 XServe only had one AGP and one PCI slot, I don't think more could be fit inside the 1U space. The cost alone will be more than you would spend on a larger rack where you could just sit the G5 in vertically.

cpjakes

Edit: GVS makes a solution, Google for "Rackmount G5" and they're one of the first hits. Don't know if they're Apple endorsed or not, but it seems like it could work for you. Also, Marathon's solution for the G5 is pretty weak, if you ask me. It'll show up on that Google search also...

7. jjblair thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. That GVS thing is just BAD ASS. That must have just come out because I googled a couple of weeks ago with no luck. Thanks!

8. mstecker macrumors 6502

Marathon

Just a quick off-topic post to chime in with praise for Marathon. They make an awesome product in their iRack 1U servers. Pick up an old iMac motherboard on eBay, combine it with their 1U kit, and you have a pretty slick OSX rackmount server.

I feel compelled to write this becuase their customer service for me was off-the-charts helpful in the past.

As such, I'd really think about their G5 solution, even if it's not the most pleasing at first glance.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

In studios I always see a lot of powermacs standing on the floor beneath the mixer. I hardly ever see one built in!