G5 Ram Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nsrii, Jan 17, 2005.

1. nsrii macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2005
    Hey all,

I'm looking for ram to upgrade a PMG5 I'm getting this weekend, but I'm not clear on some of the features I'm seeing for PC3200 ram. Can anyone tell me if the following stats will work:

Module Size: 1GMB
    Package: 184-pin DIMM
    Feature: DDR-400, PC3200
    Configuration: 128Meg x 64 (128x4 config)
    DIMM Type: Unbuffered
    Error Checking: Non-parity
    Speed: 7.5ns
    Voltage: 3.3V
    SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

I know the module size, dimm size, type of ram, and error checking are all correct. My concern is with the speed and, especially, the voltage. Are these values acceptable? Also does the configuration of the module make a difference?

I know I need to buy pairs, I just want to make sure I'm buying a pair of sticks that will work. Any and all helped would be greatly appreciated.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Those are plain-vanilla specs for a PC3200 module... except the voltage should be 2.5V. I think there is a typo in these specs, leads me to wonder about the seller. The chip speed value is a useless piece of data as PC3200/400MHz defines the speed of the module

The specs do not tell you for sure it will work in a Macintosh.

The way to ensure it works in a Mac is to buy from a reputable seller who guarantees that the RAM is tested and functional in your model Macintosh. It should have a lifetime manufacturer's warranty, and it should be new (not a "pull", B-stock or a remanufactured module).

In the USA I recommend DMS: www.datamem.com based on 5 years of doing business with them
    In Canada, call us for a quote

3. nsrii thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2005
    Thanks for the advice and quick response, Trevor. I appreciate it. I'll look into the site you mentioned.