G5-Ram in pairs? does config matter?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iriejedi, Jan 10, 2004.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Hey there -

I am [hopefully] weeks away from buying a new G5 (common Speed bumps) - and I'm reseaching the best way to do things.

Given the new DP G5's computers need memory installed in equal pairs... if say I had four pairs of 256meg memory (2 gig total-in all 8 slots) or 2 X 1 gig momory moduals (2 gig total) in only two slots AND assuming I would never want to buy ram again, ignoring the obvious draw back of future expandability....... my question is, does actual configuration of memory affect overall performance of is it still an issue of total amount installed... period?

Crucial sells 512's for $85 ($170 per pair) and apple wants $225 even at the educational price for a pair of them (and you lose the original stock 256's).

So I thought it best if I buy the 512's from Crucial and keep the original 256's for a grand total of 1.5 gig's memory (if you understand what I just tried to say - you are very smart so I'll believe your claims). :)

Anyone who does not own stock in Apple want to try and tell me why I should pay more for less?

Thanks in advance!

Irie Jedi

:confused:

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

The simple answer is you shouldn't. Apple really gouges the prices on it's RAM because they can say it's of the highest quality. I am in the same boat as you and will probably do that same thing you will with RAM. Buy G5 stock then add 1 gig from somewhere else. :D

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yup the 1st post was 100% right on the money. unless you want to give apple ur dollars go the other way.

the configuartion shouldnt affect performance.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just a follow up, the only way performance wil be changed is if you get bad ram, and the chances of that increase the more modules u get...but its still unlikely

6. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. I was pretty sure that would be the general feeling... my last computer that required memories in pairs (sets of 4 I think) was a Mac IIci. The good old days where 2 meg moduls cost $99 each... so for my 8 meg upgrade it cost nearly $400 - but hey I was the coolest guy in the dorm...with 12 megs of ram and a speedy IIci that included a 80mhz upgrade card! Blew the IIfx away! (except the upgrade card chirped the speakes from time to time)!

Memories... - I paid $3200 just for the base model Mac IIci in 1990 (and what??? This mac needed a $500 'color' monitor... my Mac II+ at least came with a B/W one of those!!!) Makes the $3000 G5 look so freaking cheap!

Well I digress...Common speed bumps....I'm so ready for the G5.1

Irie J

7. Matrix9180 macrumors member

Crucial sells MT ram, which is the exact same ram used in the G5s. Just make sure you buy the right speed. (1/2 speed of ur procs or faster?) slower will make it not boot (I tried throwing in some old modules I had around and got nothing...)

8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Also, try looking at Other World Computing for RAM. Very easy RAM finder, lifetime warranties on all RAM, and the best prices around. I've ordered all my RAM through them and have had no problems. Check them out here. Enjoy that new PowerMac!

9. gottamove macrumors newbie

G5 ram in pairs... I just bought a 1.8 dual

Yes the ram has to be installed in pairs. I just purchased the Dual G5 + Extra ram. It came with 512 mb of memory (256 x's two).

I added a extra 1gig (2 512 DDR440) at my G5 place of purchase Comp USA for $249.99.

I then found a cheaper price at buy.com for $155.99 for a 1 gig DDR400 kit (Two 512 chips).

I now run a G5 dual 1.8 pp with 2.5 gigs of ram.

(4) 512 chips + the stock (2) 256 chips. WoW! I fly =)

More ram will open up your computers true abilities.