G5 Scussi card problem.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW Pepper, Sep 26, 2004.

1. JW Pepper macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2002
    I have just received my G5 and I am moving from a B & W G3. I have removed my Adaptec 2930cu SCSI card which is a PCI card but I cannot re-fit it to the G5 as it seems to have a different slot (PCI-X) and it does not seem to be backwards compatible unless I am doing something wrong. The 2930CU is a 5V PCI card and it is keyed differently from the 3.3V PCI cards which will fit.

Can anyone recommend a cheap SCSI card that will work with the G5. I have a virtually unused Epson SCSI scanner that actually meets my needs, and I do not wish to replace it as it seems such a waste. I have an Epson GT9600 with automatic document feeder.
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    this is weird, i just helped my boss track down a new SCSI card to replace the 2930cu for his new G5.

a rep at adaptec said the PowerDomain 29160N was the best replacement for the 2930cu for the G5. you don't even have to get a new cable, the 50pin that your already using should work just fine. one thing to note though, is that the 29160N is 3.3V and it won't 'fill' your PCI slot perfectly. now, i can wait till it comes in and test it out for ya - but i'm not sure if my boss has even ordered it yet.

the new card is kindof expensive - have you considered a firewire - SCSI adapter solution?

i also believe that atto makes some SCSI cards that are more compatible with the G5.