G5 Speed bump clearing inventories or just supply V demand

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by i_wolf, Nov 5, 2003.

1. i_wolf macrumors regular

My order for dual 2GHz keeps getting pushed back ... i now have to wait another 2 or 3 weeks.... is this because there is a problem with supply and too much demand or is a sign that they are clearing inventories, and a speed bump is a comin!!

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Unecessary Wait

From what I have read, seen and heard as of late, pretty much everyone has been receiving their new G5s, including all processors configurations and even BTO orders with upgraded video card, etc. So, I'm not sure exactly why your date would continue to be pushed - anyone else in the same boat?

As for updates or speed boosts in the near future, expect them early next year, but I think the next G5 news will be xServes (probably @ MWSF) before anything else. Even if speed boosts are announced, remember it will be another 2-3 months before they actually ship as well, based on Apple's track record!

Don't know why your order has been so delayed though.:confused: Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Cheers,
    Scott

3. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

I just ordered a 1.8 G5 CTO (1G ram & 9600 video card). Shipping on or before Nov 7. ... cross fingers ...

4. Rhys24 macrumors newbie

Ive ordered my dual g5 cto on september 11th on apple store uk and still havent recieved it, i know its shipped and at the moment is just sat at apples holding hub, waiting for someone to just ship it tom me, the joke is the hubs 20 mins away !! feel like just going to pick it up !! when i asked if it came with panther, i got a mixed review, some reps said yes there will be an up to date cd in there, others said no, anyone know the anwser to this, well hopefully in 1 or 2 days i should be sat in front of a apple 23inch hd display and a dual g5 with 2 gb of ram and a 9800 graphics card !! fingers crossed !! i'll post picture when i get it, havent seen to many pictures of g5;s with 23 inch display :)

5. James.Paul macrumors regular

i recently sent in an order to the applestore UK via the web. It came back with an estimated build time of 2-3 weeks (Dual G5 upgraded video card, HD, Bluetooth etc). The confirmation came back and said 2-3 months (shipment 4th Jan 2004). I couldn't believe that so I queried it and they said that there was a parts shortage. Asking if I could change my order to get round this they said that the item in question was something in every Mac so I couldn't.

Anyway, after 7 working days i have received shipment notification.

My guess is that they are just covering there own backs in case they do have a shortage problem. That way they have notified you of a problem.

Best thing is just email them and see what they say.

Anyway hope you enjoy it, I'm excited!!!!

6. Rhys24 macrumors newbie

thats a joke i ordered september 11th and you ordered what like a week ago and u'll probably get yours b4 mine !! im wriitting an email to apple management complaiing about there service !!

7. James.Paul macrumors regular

I just don't know what to say about that. I hate queue jumpers and I feel like i've jumped a queue. Apologies.

Hope you do get it soon.

Just so you feel better my G5 has to sit next to a 15" monitor!!!! I'm sort of holding out to see if they bring a new one out. I'd hate to shell out the cash and then 3 months later a superb looking matching monitor came out.

8. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular

yup i bought a 20" adc monitor... i like the 23" but its too big for the desk IMO where i am... even the 20" is overkill and a bit big... i would prefer something between or a widescreen 17".. anyway...
    i ordered a Dual G5, 9800 pro, bluetooth , airport extreme, 1 gig of ram (another gig on order from crucial) etc... Also a ibook 14" 933 with 640 megs ram bluetooth, airport extreme etc...
    now the lady on the phone said that the ibook had no shortages or problems but that they were going to ship everything together for me and that the dual G5 was going to take a good while to build because there is a parts shortage at the moment... she said minimum another 2 to 3 weeks :(
    Its a bit annoying because after so many weeks waiting :(
    Guys cross your fingers for me!

9. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular

damn i rang the store again today and i was told "another 10 to 15 " working days. another 3 weeks more than likely (assuming the the working day means monday to friday). Maybe i wouldn't mind so much but i was told that it would be 2 to 3 weeks , weeks ago!!!
    What the hell?!?!

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

You guys are going to hate me. This past Monday, ordered one for my nephew at the education store (he's a student at University of Michigan). It was a dual 2Ghz G5, with a 250 gig hard drive and the Radeon 9800 with bluetooth and Airport Extreme. It arrived this morning. I really can't understand why you guys are still getting the runaround. I just went and did a little window shopping and it says 3-5 days on shipping. And that was one that was BTO with dual 250 hard drives and the DP, along with Radeon 9800 (thinking about getting this one myself:) ) Anyway, for what that is worth.

11. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular

i am well and truly jealous!
    Yeh... this getting the runaround is getting old.
    I have been extremely nice to them so far on the phone. But I am at the stage where i am considering just cancelling my order if it doesn't arrive soon. I mean it would just be my luck that i would be waiting for months for my new dual BTO powermac and then they go and speed bump it two days after i get it... and what would prob make things worse is that i wouldn't mind only i will have lost a couple of months usage waiting on the damn thing! :(

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hey cancel your order and wait another month or two and who knows maybe a dual 2.5 will be selling?

13. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

How ridiculous.

These things were introduced in AUGUST, and people aren't receiving there's until mid-November?

14. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular

well in fairness i didn't order in August. i ordered about 4 weeks ago or more!... but i hate to mention this ..... if i had ordered from dell for example.... and i ONLY mention dell in the means of how fast they are to build and get the product out.. even if the two products are worlds apart... still if i had ordered from dell hypothetically it would have been delivered about 10 days after i ordered. This is disgraceful on Apple's part.
    Do you reckon then that i should cancel the order and hold for a month or two!??? ... only thing is if i do that i could be waiting another 3 or 4 months to get the whatever powermac speed bumped is released. :S
    When ever i ring i keep getting the " we are waiting for a part that is in short supply"... but how long can the part be in short supply if peeps from other areas of the world are getting theirs!
    The funny thing is that the Apple factory is down the road from me in Cork!!! Sweet bitter Irony!

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, if you do cancel your order, even if the updates aren't that big of a deal to you, you might pick up the computer you have on order at a bit of a discount. I don't know....just a thought. Me on the other hand, when I decide to get something, I am ready to get it....so i empathize with you. I wish that I had the answers. Good luck and let us know what happens

16. chrisnturkey macrumors newbie

As for waiting ... don't do it man! You'll drive yourself mad. I waited for ipod updates until the 3G's were out and it was agonizing. That said, I agree with the fellow who chose to wait on the monitor. As much as limbo is worse than hell ... my inner voice tells me there will be bigger, lighter matching AL monitors in the next few months.

:)

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple instituted the announce and ship system after the bondi iMac and Cube proved that their old methods of "Silly Wild Ass Guessing" were proving slighty unreliable. Either too little or too much product on the shelf.

Of course now you have people waiting in lines for new machines. And really long lines if the product is super hot like the G5s.

While at Dell you generally have a relatively predictable production.

18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well the Dual 3Ghz G5s will be avaliable for June/July (according to SJ), so I expect the next speed bump to be then.

I expect Apple to release G5 eMacs/iMacs before then and hopefully I G5 PowerBook.

19. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular

what annoys me isn't so much the having to wait... i understand that apple has a hot product and there is huge demand. No what really gets me hot and bothered is being told that it will be 10 build days... guaranteed by apple rep on phone... then being told it will be another 15 working days.... then being told it will be another 15 working days etc.....
    I appreciate a bit of honesty. If i had to wait a few months. fine... it isn't ideal. but fine i have to wait a few months, but at the very least i would like people on the phone to be honest about the fact that i have to wait a few months. There is nothing worse than being strung along.
    Incidentally, when i ordered the G5 i ordered it because i believed at the time it was the very fastest piece of kit i could get at the time. It probably still is. i believed that nothing x86 could touch it once apps have been compiled and optimized for it, i.e. that it had much much more potential for high end speed and processing power than Intel Xeon 3.2 or AMD Opteron 2GHz. I still reckon that is the case... especially since i will be recompiling and reoptimizing my own app which i wrote myself for it which i use all the time. Currently my app is fast on dual xeon 2.8 hyperthreading but not fast enough. A dual G5 I would expect to at least be twice as fast once optimized properly. However a dual opteron would also be a nice speed boost, and a friend of mine has told me that if this takes much longer to get from apple , that he will sell me an equiv spec dual 2GHz opteron for the same price on which i will run Gentoo. (he owns his own shop and said he will give me equip at cost ! ) He guarantees a 5 day order and build time which i believe him on.
    I dont want to have to do that, i REALLY REALLY want the dual G5 i reckon it has potential to smoke everything else out there but if this waiting continues i might just have to consider the dark side.......

20. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

There is no good reason why shipping should take any longer than 21 days on any Mac. It is just a matter of good planning and logistics.

21. i_wolf thread starter macrumors regular