G5 Sphere???

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by geeman, Nov 27, 2001.

1. macrumors regular

Has anyone heard about a "G5 Sphere", which uses an AirPort 2 card to transmit video signals wirelessy? Or have I been had? Can send the link to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

GeeMan

2. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Yup, I've heard of it. It runs OS XI which uses a revolutionary new 3D user interface called Solar. It also uses Newton's hand writing recognition system, and has a detatchable Web tablet.

It comes with a free Apple PDA called iPad which uses technology Apple has aquired from its recent purchase of Adobe, Palm, Handspring and Microsoft.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Have a look at http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macproto/g5sphere.html

4. macrumors 68000

Falleron

I think you have been had!!! Ok, it looks cool but where would the expansion come from?? Maybe a new cube though??

5. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Interesting that one of the links on that page links to another page called "spoof.html"

6. macrumors 68000

Falleron

I think that if it was an actual picture of a future product Apple would have dealt with it! I have seen this picture in the past before.

7. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

keep dreaming guys

8. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Cheap

That "Sphere" is as useless as the cube, only the cube was real... a real failure.

Just imagine the room in your desk for that thing. If you move it a bit and one of the leg fall out of the table, the whole world is gonna breake a part.

Please quit adding comments about such cheap post.

9. macrumors regular

Cube a failure?

That sphere was made in program called Bryce (perhaps you've heard of it) and like others have said, I think you've been had.

As far as the cube being a failure....

My cube seems to function properly and have had exactly zero problems with it.

The failure part of the cube was brought about by its high price and biased journalism.

It wasn't a failure as a computer, but rather it failed as a commodity.

10. macrumors 65816

evildead

that was a really old spoof

The sphere was an old spoof.. phots have been arround for like 6 months If I can remember right...

The Cube was the best computer no body used..

I kinda wanted one.. but it just was too expensive for me at the time.. plus not very expandable.

I hear now they are displayed in museums.

11. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Wow! My office is a museum? I got a cube for the office as a second graphics/web design machine and it's worked great. It was a deal too when i got it...too bad they didn't debut at those prices.
    Thankfully the only expansion we've ever needed for it has been very easy over firewire...zip, scanner, HD.
    And oh yeah, compared to the bees nest that the studio is with all the scsi arrays and G4 towers and decks buzzing the cube is an absolute joy to sit there and hear the music without noise.
    Failure? Not for me.

12. macrumors 68000

Falleron

As you said, its a great machine but it was a little too overprised when it came out! Oh well, maybe a return someday!!

13. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

I don't think that we need to re-introduce the cube, but I hope that Apple learns from it. I still don't consider the cube to be a failure, just unpopular with consumers. Apple is very good at breakthrough design, and I hope that they don't hold back on the new products just because everybody has picked the cube as the number one target to say anything bad about Apple.
    Bring on the new designs, think different and all that, and keep the innovations coming.

14. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

SPG You are an idiot!
    How could it not be considered a failure if in fact you say that it was unpopular with consumers?

15. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Well, SPG I'll tell you.
    The design was a success.
    The engineering was a success.
    The cube was a thing of beauty.
    Silence.
    G4 speed.
    Firewire.
    Small size.
    Easy Ram upgrade access.
    The public just wasn't ready for it, and honestly I think they were scared of it.

16. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Okay SPG, It was a nice machine, but how could it be a real pro computer if you couldn't put in another card for say, SCSI connection, or second monitor support?

17. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

I don't think it was meant to be the Pro machine for everyone, SPG. It didn't replace the G4 tower did it? All the things you could ever want were still available in the Tower, but for some who wouldn't need those things or had another tower it was great.
    Apple's real misstake was assuming that people would pay a premium for advanced design. If it were considered another option that was priced a little lower and had lower sales objectives, the cube would have been considered a great sucess and marvel of design.

18. macrumors 6502a

And the fact that the cube was overpriced.

19. macrumors 68000

Falleron

What needs to happen is that the PowerMacs need to become slightly more expandable (say 1 extra pci slot) then produce a "cube like" computer that has a greater expandability than the previous cube (say 1/2 pci slots). That would suit most comuter users!

20. macrumors 6502a

And reduced prices.

21. macrumors member

keep dreaming guys

isn't that what pl said about the G5 chip hmmmmm

22. macrumors 68000

Falleron

We all want cheaper computers

23. macrumors 6502a

A spherical computer???
    Oh bloody hell, what sort of a f****d up idea is that.

24. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well, it would certainly get noticed!

25. macrumors 6502a

As you watch it roll across your desktop, yes.