G5 startup issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by psycho bob, Nov 17, 2003.

1. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

About every 1 in twenty start ups my G5 will indicate that it cannot locate a system folder. It has done this since purchase and since then the hard drives have been set up to stripe on raid and 10.3 has been installed. Still the same thing happens. I simply turn off and turn back on and all is well! Strange to me it seems. Not really a major problem just...well strange. None of my other Macs have ever done this. Is it just a rev A quirk? Anybody else experience this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Does the LED light flash on/off/flashing? If flashing how many times?

Fans spinning?

Boot tone?

Video?

--- If everything else is ok and you get the blinky LED you'd probably be seeing this...

As for fixing it. Don't know. :confused:

3. psycho bob thread starter macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

It all starts normally. White LED, fans, boot tone but then rather than the grey apple screen its the flashing question mark and folder icon. Only happens on rare occasions and there's no pattern to it. As I said very strange. If it hadn't of happened before I set up raid I would have related it to that but it happened when I first got it it with only one hard drive installed. All drives check ok so the mystery continues!

4. davebl macrumors member

HD Issue?

Every IBM Desktar I have owned (4 as of now) has done this. Apple used them in the Sawtooth G4's and that is how I got them.

Everyone was replaced with the Western Digital 120gb with an 8mb cache. Never had that problem again.

dave