G5 startup problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tripswitch, Feb 24, 2004.

1. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Hope this hasn't been posted before, couldn't find this problem by searching, so apologies if I've missed it!
    Basically, my new G5 Dual 2Ghz, 4Gb Apple fitted RAM, additional 250Gb Maxtor Drive will lock up or kernel panic if its been switched off for over 2 hours. It'll boot normally if I hold the power key and then boot up again, but leave it a couple of hours and, hey presto! it locks up.
    I've tried reinstalling the system, removing the RAM and replacing with ram from the office G5 (which is OK) but still no good. Anybody got any ideas ?
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks all

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Sorry this may be as no help to you but uh....
    You lucky man, you. :rolleyes:

3. weezer_mouth macrumors newbie

G5 startup problem

Hey Tripswitch,
    I'm having the same problem,
    did you figure anything out??

Thanks,
    Amanda

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Try deleting com.apple.powermanagement.plist from preferences, see if i works ...

if not ,you can try resetting the power manager but I dont know how to do that on a g5..
    other than that, dont know , may be a problem with your hard drive..call apple..
    hope first method works

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Put on a pair of steel toe boots and take a running start and kick it.
    Seriously though, you may have to take it in for service.

6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I would definately call Apple! They have great service; I don't know whether you still have phone support (3 mos.) but you definately have it under warrenty at this point (1 year).

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Mine runs 24x7 for the last 5 months. I mainly use it for video encoding and the CPUs are at 80% for hours at a time. Between video encoding, I run games and photoshop. I only have 1 GB of memory and a single 160 GB drive. Just as a test, try taking out the 2nd HD to see if its a heating issue.

8. tripswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions, tried them all with no luck, so I've had to bite the bullet and call Apple service who have been the most unhelpful, rude and ignorant fools I've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with.
    One even suggested that its not a major problem, live with it!!!
    On a machine only 20 days old. Still, its going back for replacement from the vendor, who have reluctantly agreed to do so to keep our business.
    BTW, out of the 40 odd calls I made to Apple, only got through 4 times.
    Still, love the platform to pieces and wouldn't change, but wish they had decent support staff!

9. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

That's really weird! Every time I've called Apple support (15" TiBook) they've been nothing but extremely helpful and patient. Of course, I haven't called 40 times (more like 4), but every time was a plesant experience.