G5 sudden shutdowns while using internet!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by surfacin_, Mar 22, 2004.

1. surfacin_ macrumors newbie

I just got my G5 dual 1.8 about 2 weeks ago and everything was working fine until last weekend! Whenever I'm surfing the net, it just blanks out and goes into sleep mode??(black screen) for about 5 seconds or so then turns off by itself! However, if i hit my keyboard during that short blackout, it does seem to get back to normal.... except when the picture of desktop comes back on, ethernet has been disconnected.

This is strange since i'm actively using the mouse or keyboard whenever i'm on internet. Could anyone please help me with this??? how i can go about fixing this problem??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :(

I have updated my panther to 10.3.3... thought that it might have to do with 10.3.2 but updating didn't seem to help.

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Hmm seems pretty bad... I'd have it serviced asap. It can be something serious they may even give u a new machine... If it's only 2 weeks old and the tell u motherboard needs to be replaced... demand a new g5.

But of course, check energy saver settings first. Notice what applications run at that time and check out the settings on those apps. try shutting some down see if it helps. Seconds, scan for viruses... check if ur connection is secure. And finally u might want to try and reinstall the system. If it doesnt help, call apple!

3. iostream.h macrumors regular

Are you by chance using a 20" Cinema display with it?

If so you need to disable the proximity buttons on the front and everything will be fine.

4. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Havent heard that to be a problem yet ...

5. kingtj macrumors 68020

G5 sleeping on its own....

Yep, I've heard of this one. At least one or two people over on Apple's own discussion forums reported this same issue - and the fix turned out to be replacement of a bad switch on their Cinema display.

(Makes sense if you think about it.... It thinks it's momentarily being pressed, which tells the G5 to enter sleep mode, even though you were in the middle of using it.)

It's easy to troubleshoot though, if you have a regular PC SVGA monitor handy. Just attach it with Apple's provided "DVI to VGA" pigtail adapter in place of your Cinema, and see if the problem goes away. If not - then yep, get that G5 back to Apple for replacement or repair!

- Tom

6. archicat macrumors newbie

G5 blackout

G5 (dual 1.8GHz, 2MB RAM + 19" Dell Monitor)

Lately I've been getting blackouts. Screen goes back, no response from keyboard or mouse. Have to restart to fix.

Suggestions?

:mad:

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Call Apple. It's still under warranty. On the off chance they have you bring it in or send it in to be serviced, de-authorize iTunes music and backup everything of value. Sometimes they swap the whole thing.