G5 Tested on World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by VegetaPunk, Jul 9, 2003.

1. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=271389&P=5

Straight from the mouth of a Blizzard employee

2. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Good news for Blizzard fans!!

Thanks for the link. Interesting article at the beginning of the thread. I don't know that I care to question the numbers thrown out in Mac/PC comparisons, but it's interesting to see how Apple's methods can be interpreted.

dot

3. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

I have seen many sites "review" the G5 and all have different numbers.... The G5 will be a great computer for the mac community. I think that mac users will make it look a little better while Mac hating PC users will make it look worse. It would seem to me that to get an accurate (more so then the ones posted) score of the system you will have to look somewhere in the middle of these scores.

It kind of disgusts me how many people just jump on the hate bandwagon (seen after reading though the thread) since 99.9% of these people probably have never used a mac and if they did it was at school and the system was 10 years old....

/rant

4. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Those people have to realize that Apple has come a long way from the computers they used in school. They can't assume that current computers freeze as much as they did when Apple computers were running OS 7.x
    Gaming on the G5 should be great! I think it'll be good for the future of the Macintosh Gaming Platform!:D

5. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Let's hope so; I plan to get one, and I hope to play games on it!

I'm not coming in expecting a PC-caliber gaming experience, but I at least hope to run Warcraft 3 without issues, as well as MoHaA and World of Warcraft and UT2003.

6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Has anyone seen a beta of World of Warcraft running on a Mac? I'm curious how good it's going to look...

7. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

Well one of the blizzard guys said that when he was at E3 and he sat down at a g4 and was playing the game and didnt know he was playing on a mac until someone pointed it out to him... so if you want to see what it looks like in the alpha stage

go to www.worldofwarcraft.com they have some divx movies on there that are worth the time to watch imo

8. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Actually if you take a look at the thread you will see why some many users jump on the hatewagon--it is b/c of the common "we are better than ALL PC users" elitest attitude that Mac users give. They say that PC users were "sucked in" or are "clueless" idiots that "dont' know any better'.

here's a quote from a particular Mac user (aO-UniX):
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    "my computing experience is being constantly ruined because of your egocentric, pig-headed attitudes and your constant stream of false information..."

"Windows is a computer virus that is draining your wallet and lowering your standards!! Yet you are too ignorant to listen to me. Go ahead and just dismiss this all as "stoopid froot lojic" you pathetic, gullable fools..."

"People who believe Windows is the only thing to use. You have been brainwashed people! Wake up and smell the MHz people, Apple started out leading they way and they still lead in innovation. The evidence is everywhere but your head is too far up your ass to realize it..."
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow there goes of what's left of unbiased comparisons. Name-calling (i.e. gullable fools)--notice gullible isn't even spelled right.

And of course the all popular "pig-headed" attitudes that "PC users" seem to have--is ultimately a hypocritical statement on that poster's part.

The only way your going to have a good, clean rational conversation about the 2 platforms is if you AVOID DOING THIS. Don't be surprised when you say this and PC users strongly disagree with you.

On Apples being in school, i think many people say there's a story behind it. Specifically on how Dell took the market away--in fact in my C++ classes we were forced to use 486's until one day they bought in around 100+ P3 systems on Windows 2k. Sure beats the hell outta using 486's :)

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

When comparing Macs to PC's, I don't flat out denounce PC's, and praise Macs. I know Macs have flaws, as well as PC's. It's just that PC's usually have more.

I enjoy a nice argument every once and a while, but when a biased, fanatical troll spews his bullsh*t, I just get pissed off...

Besides, nobody's perfect ;)

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think the speed increase has more to do with the video card than anything else.

I remember playing Warcraft 3 on a G4 with the bottom end AGP video card. I would always get slow scroll speeds. Then I got a hold of the one of the faster ones, and that made a world of difference.

G5 with AGP 8x with the ATI 9800 is probably what is doing it for you.

12. job macrumors 68040

job

Or maybe it's the 800/900Mhz or 1Ghz bus.... ;)

Bye bye bottlenecks. :D

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

yes i know, i'm just giving an example (though an extreme one) of why many PC users tune out when they hear this argument. Since the first poster put a link to that thread, i decided to check it out to find it was just another flame thread.

Most people will listen, but not when they are being spoken to like that :rolleyes:

14. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Frohickey:

I can assure you that WC3 performance depends more on CPU/memory than on video card. I've seen dozens and dozens of perfectly fine WC3 games played on a GF2MX with a 1.4ghz Athlon, and I've never been able to get a smooth experience out of my dual 800 G4 with a R-8500.

15. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

i dont know what kind of g4 you have...

ddtlm
    I have a g4/450 and i get excellent performance in warcraft III. I dont know WHAT you are talking about, unless you are just really anal :cool:

16. ddtlm macrumors 65816

i_am_a_cow:

There is an entire thread dedicated to WC3 performance, or maybe more than one. Since I don't accept that your G4 is better at WC3 than my dual 800, for example, I conclude that you either have not taken it into a large battle, or that you don't know what smooth is like, or that you just can't percieve the chopiness for some strange reason.

Here's a link for you:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=26742&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

17. couch potato macrumors regular

amen :D

18. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

While I often tame these kinds of Mac users, you have to remember it goes both ways. The things PC users say (and do, look at the haxial site as an example) to Mac users get pathetic and extreme.

It's just different people. Most of the time the ones who shout and jump are younger and don't know how to put across a good argument yet. So they say "Macs suckks so bad, you can't do anything on a Mac. Why would you want one you mac loving idiots? Apple are gonna be dead in year and Dell will laugh watching them fall" (I've actually taken this from spam on the Apple discussions, except I've made it legible and removed the swearing/shouting)

AppleMatt

19. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Ignorance is hatred - it's human nature, unfortunately. That applies to PC users hating Macintosh systems, and PC users who think reboots, lockups, etc are a normal part of operating a computer.

The average user doesn't know how to operate a computer - seriously. They can use a word processor, handle spreadsheets or put together nifty slide shows with lots of pretty colors. I could write a book on this.

I work for an ISP that caters primarily to businesses, and you would be surprised that the CEOs, CFOs, VP's of Marketing out there just take the words and run with them, blind to their true definition, function or place.

20. mstecker macrumors 6502

Just a note on WC3 performance. I run WC3 and TFT all of the time on my 800Mhz / Radeon 7500 G4 at full native resolution on my 20" cinema display with all of the effects turned up to the max. It runs as fast as I can imagine it wanting to run.

21. hui__lim macrumors regular

Does anyone know when this game is coming out? I can't wait to try it out. When I used to be a pc owner, used to play EQ all the time, still have my account but its been inactive. Holding out from EQ on Mac (can't be bothered to start from scratch again) and waiting for the WOW.
    Would you think WOW will be better than EQ?

22. VegetaPunk thread starter macrumors 6502

no one knows when its going to come out but it might be next summer..... beta testing could start anyday now they stated that it would start between august and october :D