G5 Thought

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by twentyeight7, Aug 21, 2003.

1. twentyeight7 macrumors member

Moderator im sorry i miss-posed the first time please delete the other post (SORRY)

i was just thinking about the size of the g5.... its what 21 inches. being that i own a studio im no stranger to the size of a rack space 17 in, 19 with ears for screws. People made adapters for the g4 to fit in to the rack....im thinkin apple didnt like this. Do you think apple makde the g5 those extra few inches to direct more attention to the xserve and xraid? seems logical... right?

Chris

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't think so...the XServe is in a whole different category entirely being a server and all. It seems like the G5 case is as big as it is to maximize it's cooling abilities more than anything.

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

3 theories on taller PowerMacs

You are right. Apple probably did not like the idea of a rack-mountable PowerMac and so made life difficult for those who wish to do so. One theory is that PowerMacs are designed to sit vertically so that hot air can find its out through the ventilation holes at the back. Resting the PowerMac to its side may create heat pockets in the case that could potentially become a fire hazard.

Another theory is that the G5 PowerMacs are taller to create the impression that they are mightier than the G4 PowerMacs.

One final theory is that a smaller G5 PowerMac would look too much like a cheese-grater. Perhaps in the future this digital hub idea will reach all the way to the kitchen but until then I am sure PowerMacs will only be used for data-related tasks.

Anyway, how is anyone supposed to insert a CD or DVD in a horizontal PowerMac? It is just not possible with tray loading drives.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, there would probably be heat issues, and why rackmount a G5 anyway? If you're looking for rackmount, just go Xserve, don't bother with rackmounting solutions. The Xserve was meant to be maintained in-place, while the G5 would have to be dismounted every time you wanted to crack it open. And hasn't the only real trend in PM designs for half a decade+ been no-screw opening?

And for the record, most trayloading optical drives have little clips or ridges that hold a CD in place when used vertically. Check it out, Apple may have moved away from them but all PC's still have them...

pnw

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, I've seen quite a few "slim" PCs that have the CD drive sideways...and there is the PlayStation2, which also has the CD sideways when it is standing up (which is the only way I usually see it). The CD just sits in the clips or a grove on the side of the CD tray when you set it in.

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Are we talking about PowerMacs or not?

The PS2 and those PCs you mention may use the clip-on CD trays but the fact is, PowerMacs do not. Resting a PowerMac on its side will result in the CD/DVD becoming useless.