G5 Toasts G4 PB with iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Jun 20, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ok so, further to this thread on iDVD G5 vs G4:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=132511

It does seem that a Rev D G4 Powerbook 1.67ghz gets absolutely obliterated by the Dual Processor G5 when burning a 440MB .mov file in to a DVD.

The G5 was using iDVD V4, the G4 used V5. The G4 did the burn in 3.5 hours (from hitting burn DVD to ejecting the disk), the G5 did it in 1.5 hours.

I did expect it to be faster and I'm sure some will say "that's obvious"- but surely not by that much!

It's not a completely even test. The G5 has 1.25GB Ram, the PB has 768MB, but having looked at activity monitor on the G5, it wasn't using that much RAM at all and CPU % wasn't too great either.

Quite surprising though. It's a shame theG5 is at work....

2. endoscient macrumors member

Why don't u use the same version? There are ssoooo many variables to say anything useful.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

just what each machine came with and has at the moment. True, there are plenty of variables, but there's no denying the Powerbook got wasted. Still, if it hadn't worked that way, you'd be left thinking. 'Is the Powerbook really capable, or is the G5 just not as good as it should be?'

Processor speed seems to count for a lot in the DVD encoding process from what I've found and discussed. My cousin's 1.6 GHZ PC (couple of years old), takes roughly double the time of one of his flatmate's 3.2 processor. Again, many variables and it's not exactly a lab test, but it's good enough for rough calculations.