G5 Tower Horizontal Positioning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grimace, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Hey all, for space reasons, I'm tossing my G5 tower in a rack enclosure - horizontally.

I don't think that laying it on one side or another will make a difference. Does anyone have any reason why one side should be on the bottom vs. the other? The DVD drive has lips on both sides so a CD will stay in when inverted. I'm thinking heat differences etc...

[​IMG]

2. Takumi macrumors regular

traditionally 'desktop cases' place the mobo on the base. Not sure why but I'm sure there is a good reason, maybe so that the old slot load CPU's didn't fall out.

Takumi

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

It may depend on if yours is one of the air-cooled or liquid-cooled G5s. The air-cooled models don't seem like they'd have any problems. If its a liquid cooled model, go look in your owners manual to see if there's a warning about only operating it upright.

4. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Nice icon Heb!

It's a 2.3 Dual Core so no liquid cooling. I'll probably put the guts on the bottom since heat rises and the fans on top will push everything out (in theory.)

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks, I pity the fool that don't like my icon.

Sounds like a plan on the G5. I think it'll be just fine like that.

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i'm sure thats how virginiia tech had there's just like that so i'm sure it will be fine

only so many ways to rack mount a G5 tower:D

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Wouldn't it make most sense to have the door (on the right side of the machine) on top? That way it will be easiest if you need to open it.

8. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

There will be other gear on top and bottom so it will have to come out of the rack regardless.

I thought I remember Virg. Tech having vertical G5s -- two in each (12u spaces tall). Oh well.