G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rocksaurus, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Hey, just noticed the G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update in my software update... If anyone's installed this here's the place to report any improvements/problems... I'm hesitant to install it just yet, because if it ain't broke...(don't fix it!) :eek:

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update 5.1.5f1

About Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware
    - The Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update improves general system reliability and restores sleep functionality.

Finally, my G5 can go to sleep. Perhaps better thermal management? 'Cause my G5's damn hot.

3. bastardtwin macrumors newbie

Don't Update Until Apple Fixes 5.1.5f1

I made the mistake of updating the 5.1.5f1 firmware on my machine before reading the Apple discussion boards and now my machine is routinely crashing and freezing up. This update seems to adversely effect both 3rd party and non-3rd party ram. I can now only run my machine with half my memory otherwise it will crash and freeze. I would highly recommend avoiding this update until Apple releases a fix.

:mad:

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Calling all guinea pigs, calling all guinea pigs.

5. Rocksaurus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Lucky Me

Yeah, when no one posted a reply on their experiences with it here i checked Apple's support site, and sure enough, it's screwing up everyone's computers... Though I understand if you put the bigger memory in the banks occupied by the stock memory that helps? or something like that, you've probably read them already anyway. So yeah, I haven't "updated" yet and nor do I plan to. Sorry about your situation though, cheers.

6. Rocksaurus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Just by the by, I've got the old firmware update still on my computer, I'm not sure if you can use it, but if you want it I can send it to you. :cool:

7. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

According to the Apple forum - theirs alot of people had problems with this update - especially if their G5 have got third party ram installed (other ram than apple) People have repeorted that after the update has been installed their ram ends up not being picked up or it causes the G5 to crash.

:cool: