g5 unplugged WHILE writing to hdd

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switchedanhappy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

my idiot friend was playing with my wall switches and he turned of my dual 2 ghz rev a. g5 while i was doing some heavy hard drive work. since then it has been acting very odd, freezing up and such. (also preview seems to be affected somehow its just acting plain weird) is there anything short of a reinstall of 10.3 that i can do to repair my maybe messed up disk? or is it not even a disk problem? thanks guys.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Run Disk First Aid from the CD/DVD and fsck from single user, beyond that it's heavy duty apps (of course Norton will probably destroy the drive, since it's a pre-journaling app).

If DFA or fsck repair errors, run them again and again until it stops repairing the drive or finds the same errors a few times in a row. Neither are single pass to repair apps.

Edit: and the friend could probably use a good beating, or become you beer delivery monkey for a couple of weeks.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Who's the idiot for plugging their machine into a switch controlled socket? :eek:

Tape that thing over.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Erase and install OS may be the good option. But, to prevent this from happening again, I would have that friend away from your Mac if I were you.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

He's gonna change his name to SwitchedandUnhappy :D

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    That's not very nice. I had an apartment where the wall switch worked both plugs of the only outlet near where my desk was, so it had to be plugged in to the switch. Although I did put a big piece of cardboard over it so nobody would try to shut it off.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

You wont have to Erase and Install.. why would you? It wouldn't have done any serious damage. Just use disk utility to check the drive and repair permissions. All should be fine after that... as for your work.. well you may have to start it again. (the work being written to disk)

8. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

thats SwitchedOFFandUnhappy

9. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

Try running Disk Utility from HD> Applications> Utilities> Disk Utility.
    Repair permissions and run the repair tool.

It is possibile that if it was undone in the middle of a write that physical damage was done to part of the disk. Get a UPS power backup though. :)

10. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

heh. Yeah i ran disk utility first thing when it started back up, not acting so weird now, i think that it may have just damaged some of the files that the apps were attempting to open, not the apps themselves. I'll have to keep an eye on it though.

oh and the wall switch thing. i had my upstairs carpeted (had to move my g5) and when i put it back together i must have had the plugs confused. oops. :D