G5 Updates Anytime Soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ~Shard~, Oct 14, 2003.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I know this is purely speculation, and anyone's guess is as good as mine, but I am thinking about buying a new G5 and am concerned that minor updates might be coming soon. Any thoughts?

I realize the G5s have recently started shipping, but technically, they've been out since July! In the past, PowerMac updates have come every 6 months or so, so does that means we might be seeing a slight speed boost, or pirce drop, come January?

I just want to get the most bang for my buck and not shell out thousands of dollars only to see my new system selling for less, or with some upgrades the following month.

:)

Also, I am thinking about getting the 1.8 GHz G5 - any comments, concerns, etc. on doing this?

Let me know if you have any advice!

Cheers,
    Scott

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm guessing a rev in the Spring sometime...maybe as early as MWSF, but more likely later.

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. If updates indeed aren't going to happen until spring, (in all likelihood that is), then I wil just buy now and enjoy my "new" Mac for 4 or 5 months until it is updated. :)

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, you never really know with Apple, so the mantra should always be buy the machine you need when you need it. If you can time the releases, great.

Here's another resource you might want to check out, if you haven't already.

http://www.macrumors.com/buyersguide/

5. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: G5 Updates Anytime Soon?

it depends on how you define 'soon.' PowerMac updates have traditionally come in July/Aug and Jan/Feb. Since these latest updates were so late, I wouldn't expect the next round of updates until Feb. at the earliest.

6. Totalshock macrumors member

I think the answer is obvious. It's the same as it is for any upcoming Apple release.

Next Tuesday. :D

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I reckon updated PowerMacs will be announced in January but wont ship until start of february.

Up to Dual 2.5Ghz
    Same other spec (apart from the bus).

This will tie into my buying plans nicely!

8. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Yeah I would agree. Probably hear about the revisions at MWSF, or slightly thereafter, but not see them until February or March.

And now, even more rampant speculation:

Dual 2.5Ghz would certainly be nice. More importantly I would love to see them phase out the crippled stepson 1.6Ghz. And while we're wishing, how about the entire line gets $100-$200 cheaper? The early adopters have already jumped in, now it's time to sell the rest of us :)

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

You know, if you are always going to hold off purchasing something because something better might come along in the future, you would never end up buying anything.

The best Mac buying advice...

But what you need/want, when you can afford it. After you buy it, don't look at any Mac ads or Macworld keynotes until a whole year after you have bought your last one. :p

10. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the feedback, you've all made excellent points - especially about waiting for Tuesday. ;)

For me it's not so much wanting the "biggest and best" - after all, I would be getting a 1.8 GHz G5 and not the top-of-the-line 2.0 GHz - but more about getting value for my $. Waiting for January and MWSF is tempting (upgraded G5s, G5 iMacs?) but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a G5 once Panther starts shipping with them pre-installed.

I'm a Windows user and this will be my first Mac. I've had a hard time justifying spending an extra $1000 CAD for a Mac over a somewhat equal PC, but have decided to go for it and I'm sure I won't regret it. :)

Cheers,
    Scott

11. dho macrumors 6502

I would have to agree with Frohickey

also,
    I dont expect any pmac releases for a while either. you should be A OK.

I would suggest that you wait until panther is released to rule out any surprises