G5 value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smileyguy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Further to my thread yesterday on whether or not a MacBook is the right choice for my new machine (I've decided that it is), I'm now keen to figure out how to maximise the value of my current G5 setup to get enough cash together to buy one. I currently own:

1.8Ghz G5 Single Processor (one of the earlier ones)
    512mb Ram

My local Apple Dealer has offered me a trade-in price of €800 (just over $1,000). Seeing as I'm low on cash and need every cent I can get, I'm wondering whether it would be best to just accept this or to try to sell it elsewhere for more? What is the market value of these machines at the moment?

I also own a 15' Packard Bell LCD. Could anyone hazard a guess as to how much I could ask for this on the secondhand market?

Thanks,

SG

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$1,000 for that machine is a killer trade-in deal for you. You'd be looking for $700-800 normally.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. jericho53 macrumors regular

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Considering the surprise at the offer I've got, I'm starting to wonder if the guy I spoke to on the phone thought I had one of the newer 1.8 single processors. What year was my machine likely to have been built (I got it secondhand)? The guy I was speaking to was under the impression it was a 2003 model.

6. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

if you got it when the 1.8 was first released, then yep, it's a 2003 model - that's when those were first available. (you can go to apple-history to see for yourself).

8. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks xff, I guess the offer I got was right. He's told me he'll guarantee that price until the end of August, so I think I've got a great deal lined up.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is quite possible that newer models are cheaper. Here is why: At any time, Apple sells PowerMacs labelled "good", "better" and "best". The "better" and "best" models have higher clockspeed, but they may also have other improvements. An older 1.8GHz machine was probably the "better" model at its time, while a newer one would be just the "good" one. So an older 1.8 GHz is likely a better machine than a newer one, and was a lot more expensive to buy.

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

SELL.

Its not gonna be worth nearly as much next week. :/

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah I agree- sell it before WWDC !