G5 video card and display problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by leoinnyc, Mar 16, 2004.

1. leoinnyc macrumors newbie

I have a G5 1.6 with 1.2gb of ram. I also have a Viewsonic A90f+ 19in. display. And I can't figure out why I can't run it at any resolution higher than 1056x792. I can only assume the nVidia GeForce that come with this machine can run a 19in display at higher resolutions than that. (I should note that reducing the bit depth or the refresh rate don't help at all.) What's going on here? Anybody have an idea?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

your monitor

your monitor can't display more than that. The video card can handle it, the monitor can't.

3. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Looking at the specifications for your monitor (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_a90fplus.htm), it looks like you should be able to do at least 1792x1344 at a 61Hz refresh, or 1280x1024 at 80Hz (which Viewsonic recommends as the optimal resolution). And your GeForce FX 5200 should easily be able to handle resolutions higher than 1056x792. Perhaps your G5 has not correctly identified the CRT and doesn't believe it can be pushed to a higher resolution.

Take a look at your 'Displays' entry in the System Preferences panel. On my system (a 1.6GHz G5 with a 64MB Radeon 9600, running a 19" Philips 109P at 1600x1200 at 85Hz), the title bar of the Displays dialog box show the monitor name that OS X has detected (my title bar says 'PHILIPS 109P2'). Has it correctly detected your monitor and is it naming it? Have you tried clicking the 'Detect Displays' button in the 'Displays' dialog box?

I also notice that on Viewsonic's web page for your monitor, they explicitly mention that resolutions of up to 1600x1200 are supported on the PowerMac. If you don't have any luck getting OS X to recognise your monitor profile (and thus make the higher resolutions available), you might try calling Viewsonic (or Apple), provided either your monitor or your G5 are still under warranty.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...I don't know too much about how OS X stores its video config information and how to force different resolutions and refresh rates. If it was Linux, it'd be a different story, but I don't think OS X has an equivalent of the XFree86 text config file.

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

You might also want to post your question to the Apple Discussion Boards (www.apple.com/support). I find that you can often get a quicker response to a technical type question there than you will on a more rumours/news oriented site like this one :)