Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I just upgraded from a G4 733 to a G5 D2.7. On the G4 with a DC30 capture card using Squared 5 DC30 Xact driver any movie I played in Quicktime / VLC / FCP would come out the DC30 video card as video, not a screen mirror.

DC30 card dose not fit in the PCI slot in the G5, the new PCI slots have an extra notch in them. I got the DVI to video out adapter today & it doesn't work how I want it to. ie in video mirror mode the Cinema display goes into 1024x640 & using the video out as a second monitor causes problem as I cant see the TV from the mac, so when the mouse or window goes off to the right side of the screen I cant see it.

Is there any kind of drive/hack to make the second display out to work as the DC30 does. ie show only what quicktime is showing, not a monitor mirror, or another video capture card that works like the DC30 or even Quicktime to FW plugin.?

Thanks.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Damn, thought you meant those new Ames Room ads were already being braodcast....

I'm a bit confused... are you using the DC30 as your video card or a different one that came with the G5? If you're using the one that came with the G5, you are able to use the video out. My setup is a 20" cinema with the video out adapter plugged into an NTSC tv, all coming from a 9600 card. Make sure your display settings are set to NOT mirror, and then adjust the resolution of the TV until you get the best results.

To help you any more we need to know some more specifics of the problem...

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
The only thing i can think of is either a DV camera or capture device like a miglia directors cut box to play out to the tv via firewire.

theres an app on apples downloads called "MovieOut" and allows for most quicktime playable files to be streamed out as DV, but this wont be as dynamic as though final cut or vlc.

i had a DC30 in my old B&W G3 and the video out was very handy but got quite jumpy on compressed files like mpeg2 etc (only the native MJPEG format played perfectly), although i expect this was because it was in a 350mhz g3.

bye

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
pdpfilms said:
Damn, thought you meant those new Ames Room ads were already being braodcast....

I'm a bit confused... are you using the DC30 as your video card or a different one that came with the G5? If you're using the one that came with the G5, you are able to use the video out. My setup is a 20" cinema with the video out adapter plugged into an NTSC tv, all coming from a 9600 card. Make sure your display settings are set to NOT mirror, and then adjust the resolution of the TV until you get the best results.

To help you any more we need to know some more specifics of the problem...
ha.. I just changed the title to make it a little clearer.

The DC30 was in the G4 but does not fit in the G5. It worked very well. using the video adapter on the 9650 drives me a bit mad, as I lose the mouse pointer & windows on the second screen, which is the TV down stairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.