G5 w/ 23" display or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by javabear90, Dec 7, 2003.

1. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I need a new family computer becuase my old one died. I was thinking a G5 dp 1.8ghz and a 20 or 23 inch display. I do not need anything too powerful but would like somthing more compact like a cube. Also I need to be able to watch DVD's and possibly VHS if that's possible. I would like somthing soon but I might be able to wait. I would like to keep this below $4000 if possible.
    Sooooo... ya

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I would go on eBay and buy a G4 Cube that has been upgraded to a Dual 1.25GHz or something close to that. You can buy a NICE case for the cube at PowerLogix.com

It should run way cheaper then a Dual 1.8Ghz G5, and it should do everything (just about) that the G5 can do. If you need optical out and stuff, you can buy the Sonica Theatre from sonica.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cube on eBay- 650$
    Upgrade Card (Dual 1.2GHz)- 850$
    New Case (from powerlogix)- 100$ (about)
    add 1GB RAM- 150$
    Add 80GB HD- 75$
    Sonica Theatre- 100$
    Slot Combo Drive- 100$
    nVidia GeForce 3- 300$

That should do everything you want to do, in a nice, little package.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I have a Cube. I love my Cube. But I don't recommend spending $2300+ on a Cube. Heck, the DP 1.8 G5 only costs $2499.

If you're looking for compact, big screen, and don't need the absolute fastest Mac, I would go with the 20" iMac. Add 512mb of RAM and you're good to go.

Edits:

BTW -There is no dual processor upgrade for the Cube. At least none that are officially supported by their manufacturers.

ALSO - That 'new case' for the Cube from Powerlogix costs $250 (that's the discounted price).

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Re: G5 w/ 23" display or no?

so how do you conclude, from the fact that you don't need anything too powerful and would like something compact, that a dual G5 is the way to go? It's about as powerful as you're gonna get, and it's not at all compact.

6. javabear90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Correction

I would like a headless iMac however I belive that a 1.8 dp is the best bang for your buck. Also I need to be able to detach the screen. Should I wait until after that event in January to see what comes out of it (i.e. headless iMac or faster G5's or new screens..etc)
    thanks

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you can wait, you should. Macworld in january has been rumored to bring new powermacs, and maybe new displays. (No one knows about a headless imac...) and of course, that means price drops on the "old" models.

8. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Yup, those G5 are anything but compact! Heavy suckers, actually. I couldn't wait for the Jan Show, so got a dual 1.8, and picked up a refurb 20" from apple.