G5 Waiting Discussion (again)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by invaLPsion, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #1
    I think it's about time one of these was posted again, because here we are without LONG overdue powermac updates and with few rumors that they will come anytime soon. I am starting to get pissed off because I have purchased about $600 worth of hardare to go with my new G5 and I don't have a G5 to plug them in to. This is the FIRST time I am actually seriously considering switching to PC. I can get a top-of-the-line Northgate PC for $2077 with a three year warranty. I don't want to do it, but quite frankly Apple is falling behind on price and soon even speed unless we see some updates. Is there anyone else out there waiting for powermac updates and how long do you think we are going to have to wait?
     
  2. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2001
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #2
    Hang in there man. I'm waiting too. The Northgate won't be "future proof" as it's not ready to run 64 bit programs or OS (unless you use Linux or whatever). I'm with ya man...the pain...
     
  3. AWNR macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2004
    Location:
    Sweden
    #3
    Wait

    I could go down the street right now, and buy a top of the line parts for under $300 and build a PC from scratch. But that’s not what I want. That’s not what I *need*.

    That’s probably the best advice when it comes to computer-buying. Do you really need those extra megahertz? Right now? At this very moment?

    Because of money-issues, I’ll have to wait a couple of months anyway – but it *is* that time of year, and updated G5’s are substantially rumoured to be coming soon. Also, don’t forget that Steve promised us shiny new 3Ghz G5’s by the end of the summer. There are even reports that IBM has managed to reduce the production cost of the G5’s by quite a bit.

    My argument for not buying a PC right now, and waiting for the Mac, is that with a 3 year warranty, I expect the computer I buy to be all I need for the next 3 years. Would you rather have a G5 in three years, or a Wintel stuck with a, by then, six year old OS? (Longhorn won’t be out until the end of your warranty on either machine anyway).

    Personally, I’d wait a couple of weeks, at least. Especially with all the rumour-mongering that’s surrounded the G5 of late.
     
  4. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #4
    I am not going to wait till summer, I am hoping for an update to 2.5 or 2.6 GHz within the next two weeks hopefully shipping at that time. It just seems to me like IBM has been slacking almost....
     
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #5
    It is frustrating - its an absurdly long wait for new machines - Since June of last year...

    My thoughts on this is that its partly a marketing issue... the current push is for iPods, ITMS and iTunes. Once the hoopla for the music give away dies down some, we'll see new hardware.

    I'm ready to buy something myself.....

    D
     
  6. AWNR macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2004
    Location:
    Sweden
    #6
    Maybe

    Actually, considering Apple’s heavy interest in iTMS+iPod promotion lately, we may not see any grand product changes during the run of the Pepsi-promotion.

    Or, on the other hand, Apple is likely to have more visitors than usual to its website, so why *not* release new products?

    Questions, questions, decisions, decisions…
     
  7. AWNR macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2004
    Location:
    Sweden
    #7
    ...Actually, the G5's have seen on update since then. The dual 1.8's.
     
  8. iGav macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    #8
    and they were only announced in June, but not shipping till the September...
     
  9. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #9
    wait it out. Apple has to wait until there is a turning point in the excitement over X release before releasing Y. iPods and G5s may not be directly related, but they get new customers into the Apple Stores.
     
  10. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #10
    That wasn't a REAL update.

    On another note, I think it's getting sad that Apple Computer is concentrating more on a non-computer product than their actual flagship line, which is what really shows he metal of a companyin this industry. Was it not the powermac G5 that sold 500,000 units since the introduction in June 03'? Why shouldn't Apple give people another reason to keep buying the G5? Unfortunately I have a feeling that Apple will not have a very good quarter 1 in 04'.:(
     
  11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #11
    Having faster powermacs will be great but apple has a lot of things to work out. If they come out with say a 2.6 dual G5 where does this leave Imac? still at a single 1.25 G4? way to much gap when you can buy a single 1.8 G5 for that price today. If they give Imac a G5 then its faster then powerbooks? what about supply issues? how many G5's can Ibm build in a day?
    so i think a big part of the puzzle will be not only faster G5s for the protowers but then they need to revamp all those G4 machines with slower G5s. so building all of those other products and getting new chips for them and then marketing all of it has to be a logistic nightmare. Sometime this Year all of that stuff has to go G5 and the 90nm G5s were just starting to ship in bulk this January. Hate to say it but it could be another month or two.
     
  12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

    spencecb

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    #12
    I am with you guys also...I want a G5 badly, and I habe the money to make the purchase...I am, however, not sure if I want to buy the Rev B PowerMac whenever it comes out. I would love to buy one at the end of the summer, when we are supposed to by at 3 GHz. But i know how future plans go for Apple...they never quite stay on target and usually fall behind in speed bumps. Any advice on what to do? I think the only way I will buy a Rev B is that if the middle of the lineup is a dual 2.4. That would make it a substantial increase over the original top of the line. I dunno....any thoughts?
     
  13. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #13
    There are always going to be new products down the road!! People whine about the G5s being delayed - but the MOMENT they are, people ask if they should wait for the next revision.

    Buy the friggin computer when you need it. If you are always waiting for the next best thing, YOU will become obsolete.
     
  14. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #14
    I hoping for a dual 2.3 or dual 2.4 when the Rev B comes out. I'm pretty sure that machine will handle any game or application thrown at it for the next 3 years. On the same note, do you guys think that a dual 1.8 could last that long?
     
  15. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #15
    You know, DHM, I have been right with you in wanting the G5 iMac, but recent history has shown that "logistic nightmare" to be a serious problem. I don't think Apple can release more than one product per two months or so. We may not see updated G5 towers until late March... and I'm losing heart on the G5 iMac. I don't think we'll see it until September.

    I think I'm going to have to make room for a refurb 1.8 tower. Not happy with it at all, because the thing is enormous. But what can one do?
     
  16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

    MacsRgr8

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2002
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #16
    I think this is the problem. The G4 probably won't clock higher than 1.33 GHz (or maybe, maybe 1.42 GHz) leaving the gap between a G4 and a 2+ GHz G5 far, far too big (huge, really).

    So what you do???

    Wait for iMac G5 and PowerBook G5 before updating the PowerMacs? Or, lower the G4-Mac range's price considerably? Make a high-end iMac G5?

    I wouldn't know..... :rolleyes:
     
  17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #17
    There has to be a lot of people that are doing as we are and that is sitting on that credit card or cash until Apple does something. I hope it doesnt take apple till summer for a G5 Imac. I think if done right this could be a huge success for Apple. as i said before the chips were shipping in bulk in jan so a month to get them, a month to install them and a month to get them out so im still hoping for a on the shelf date of March for the Pro's. I only see lower sales for imac and emac if they dont get those speeds up.
     
  18. numediaman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    #18
    I'm in the same boat as invaLPsion. I have a new printer, a new scanner, an analog to digital converter, and some software waiting for speedbumps on the G5.

    But I've already given up on seeing speedbumps to this generation of G5s. Don't we, instead, expect that the next G5s will have the same family of chips as the servers? In that case, we might expect other major changes: a new optical drive, etc.

    Reviewing the Apple discussion boards, a large number of G5 owners are having troubles with iLife04 -- especially the new iDVD and iMovie. Apple has already asked G5 owners to downgrade their QuickTime. I want these problems solved by the time of the new G5s -- that may mean March . . . at the earliest!
     
  19. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #19
    I have a 17 inch LCD, a Revolution 7.1 sound card, and JBL Invaders (all new) waiting for a new rev B powermac. They don't like to be kept waiting, and neither do I...
     
  20. Jonnod III macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    #20
    Well, I've been waiting for a G5 since dec 12th. Ordered, paid for...

    either they have no stock or they have a huge Xmas backlog, or they are going to update...
     
  21. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #21
    Let's hope for the latter. After all, there are still two rumor sites of which I know that believe in an early February release, tomorrow maybe?:confused:
     
  22. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #22
    You'd better check your shipping tracking. It may have been stolen in transit. :(
     
  23. Jonnod III macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    #23
    ...not shipped yet

    delay emails received etc etc
     
  24. Mac macrumors member

    Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    #24
    Quality issues?

    I have a nagging feeling that the reason for things to drag on and on and on - is a quality issue.

    Steve would not release a product he is not positively sure of its quality.

    He can speedbump the PM but he needs to get the consumer series up to G5. A speed bump AND a 90nm chip takes some time logistically to incorporate.

    Thus the question lies in whether to go for the speed bump first and then possibly the iMac G5 (as some have noted) or go directly for the iMac G5 before the PM speed bump.

    The PB G5 was promised before Christmas 2004 - so he still has some time there, although an upgrade would normally come to the PB before the iMac.

    1st Quarter 2004:
    If you want quarterly sales to be at their best a speed bump for PowerMac comes first in this round I believe. The 90 nm processor will probably not be used for the PM´s until 2nd Quarter.

    2nd Quarter 2004:
    Then the iMac will come with 90 nm G5 (heat, noise and size issues are vital to this product). An iMac is an excellent 20th Anniversary present for us. PM´s will have 90 nm´s incorporated.

    3rd Quarter 2004 (possibly 4th):
    Then at last the PowerBook will arrive in late fall with 90 nm G5.

    But the quality issue for the product comes first. PowerMacs generate more dough than iMac. A speed bump in 1st Quarter will keep interest up, until all quality issues with the 90 nm are totally secure.

    We will all soon find out.
     
  25. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #25
    I don't care about 90nm. If there is any powermac speed bump, I would buy instantly.
     

Share This Page