G5- which model should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chelseasian, Feb 16, 2005.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi

i am at a point at work where I can finally ditch the Dell and order a Mac. However due to budget constrains, I would like to hear some recommendations. The applications i would be running typically are:

1. Motion
    2. Powerpoint
    3. Flash
    4. Final Cut Express or iMovie
    5. Photoshop
    6. Illustrator
    7. Fireworks
    8. iDVD
    9. iPhoto

At the lowest end- should I settle for an iMac? Will that help- especially if I am running motion?

Thank you.

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Sounds like an iMac loaded with ram is a good option for you. I would suggest the 20" model.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The iMac will pale in comparison to your Dual 2.0 G5, especially in Motion.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How tight is this budget? I figure would be nice. Otherwise no one has ANY idea what you can and can't stretch to. Do you have a monitor you are happy to carry on using?

C'mon, give us some more info to work with here :)

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

motion alone recommends dual 2 GHz for real-time interactivity.

i realize budget is always a concern, but spending $300 on one software and running it under less than optimal condition sounds kinda wasteful..?

like edesignuk said, a figure would be nice...

6. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Check on-line Apple Store for iMac refurb...

There are some iMacs in the refurb section at the on-line Apple Store, peep those... :D

7. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

I currently have a 21" NEC CRT monitor which i can continue using I guess even though i probably will be keeping the Dell just for QA purpose. I am looking at a budget of around $5500- probably will settle for a 20" LCD if i can.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:eek: You call $5.5k (US?) a "budget constraint"!?!?

Dual 2.5Ghz G5 PM
    Optional extras: 250GB drive, Radeon 9800 XT + 2x20" Cinemas
    =$5,426 :D

ALL YOURS!!!!

9. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

NK!!

AMEN TO DAT!!

10. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I highly recommend the dual 2 GHz. Even if you up the RAM to 2 gigs, upgrade the harddrive to 250GB, and buy an Apple 20" monitor, you're still under $4500. With reasonable tax, that keeps you safely below $5500.

I can't say enough good about the dual 2 GHz. As an owner of both a 2 and a 2.5, I'd give the 2 GHz the overwhelming endorsement.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good point :eek: I forgot all about the fact that you guys have to pay state tax on top of the price you see.

12. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Agreed-go for the dual 2.0GHz with a Apple 20" Cinema Display-as long as the taxes are not much, you'll stay well within your budget for the system. A 1.8GHz iMac may not run Motion well enough for your needs.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

my buddy says Motion will even choke up his Dual 2.5 G5 at times, and he has a couple gigs of ram...

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Care to tell us why? I'm confused.

15. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well then what do they want us to use :confused: The Dual 2.5 is the fastest and with a few gig's of RAM well i have no idea :eek:

Well then Steve you better give us speed bump or Dual core ;)

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You mean that you don't have any sales tax in England? :confused: We only have a few states like that in the US, like New Hampshire. Many in my state travel North on occasionally, especially those near the border.

I also think that getting the dual 2.5 would be awesome, just be sure to get 2 GB of RAM..

17. nutmac macrumors 68030

Motion is indeed seriously resource hungry (both CPU and GPU). If possible (yeah I know), wait for updated PowerMac to get more speed out of your money.

18. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hmmm... thanks for the feedback. I have a 2.0 Ghz at home and I absolutely love it. However given the demands of the job- where sometimes, I commute home in the afternoon, so that I can get work done at home on the mac is pushing the limit. $5500 perhaps may be pushing the envelop as well. It may end up closer to $4000 in the end. I think with corporate discount, I may be able to get something on par in the end.

Thanks for the feedback guys. i really appreciate it. :)

19. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

The VAT is always included in prices (unless they are selling to wholesalers).

Back on topic, it appears (from another thread) that iMacs may be updated soon. I'd think the same for the PowerMacs. WWDC?

20. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Why a iMac update before the PM it has been a longer time since the PM was updated then the iMac. (September vs June 2004)

21. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

There's another thread about the iMacs. People have speculated that based on 1) disappearing stock quantities 2) 171 day period since the iMac G5's release that a minor update is in the works.

Just because Apple is having problems getting faster chips for their PM series, that doesn't mean the other product teams have to destroy their products as well.