G5 will not boot (other than target mode)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wjupcsm, Dec 8, 2004.

1. wjupcsm macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2004
    What I started with:
    I have a dual 2.00 GHz G5 with only hardware modification post factory was addition of 200 GB Maxtor SATA drive. System ran fine past 90 days.

NO Apple Care (thanks budget)
    NO System CDs (found out after 90 days)

I do have a G4 system, and OS X.3.2 purchase direct from Apple.

Problem and steps taken to attempt to resolve

Primary drive failed.

Moved add on drive (Maxtor 200 GB) to primary drive

ATTEMPT to reinstall OS X.3

G5 Machine does not boot from OS X CD (media is ok, used it to boot from and install OS X.3 on Powerbook G4 Titanium)

Check power cables, data cables, drive jumpers, flash PRAM/ reset Firmware via console, etc. The basic troubleshooting steps.

Hold down Option on boot and select OS X install media as boot device, machine fails to boot.

Hold down T and boot to target mode. Install OS X.3 (Panther Retail CDs) via firewire from G4 powerbook to Maxtor 200 GB drive (successfully)

G5 boots to Apple logo and then circle with a slash.

Comment / Thought

If the processor(s), memory, and/or logic board are bad, then firewire mode would not work, nor would the CD media be recognized by booting with option key down.

This BEHAVES similar to the following situation in the DOS world: If a single drive with a single partition is set up with FDISK, but the partition is not set ACTIVE, you can boot from a floppy and read and write to the C: partition. However, you can not BOOT from the C: partition. Is there an OS X.3 equivalent to making a partition bootable?
  2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Your machine still has a 1 year warranty - so you should be able to get your original drive replaced. I assume you bought this off someone else? How do you not have the original install CDs? What CD were you using (System Restore from the powerbook or retail Panther)? I am guessing your attempt to install via Firewire didn't quite fly with the G5 and now its unhappy.

Too many questions?
  3. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    You need the original OS X CDs or a VERY recent retail CD. I thibnk the latest has 10.3.4 on it. I bet the 10.3.2 CD does not have G5 compatibility files on it so it won't boot the G5.
  4. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2001
    also, make sure the jumpers on the drive set right.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    100% right. The OS on the 10.3 CD you're using is too old to boot the G5.
  6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Your G5 should have come with a set of CDs specifically for restoring the System to a factory-fresh state.

You should never ever toss or sell or put out of reach the CDs that come with the computer. This is exactly why you don't do that.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    SATA drives don't need jumpers, thank G-d.

ATA drives do, however.
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    It should have, but if you read the first post, he says there were no discs. This is exactly why you read the post first.

I should think Apple will replace the missing discs even after the 90-day warranty expires. And they should also replace the drive, as was said. Try emailing sjobs@apple.com, it will be received by a support group that gets things done when regular support options fail.

9. wjupcsm thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2004
    Many Thanks

I would like to thank you for your replies. The 10.3.4 OS was right on the money. After insisting that the professor responsible for the machine MUST have the Factory CDs, and threatening having to order new ones.....they were "found" in his office. Not only that, but Apple is replacing the original drive that went bad (Thank you for the heads up on the 1 - Year Warranty).

All is now well with the G5 :)