G5 will not start up?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Anthony Jolleys, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Anthony Jolleys macrumors newbie

God, another G5 problem.

Starting from cold, my G5 will not start up first time. The startup noise sounds and then just hangs. I have to turn it off and on again and try again. This happens 2/3 times before success.

If I leave the G5 alone after startup noise but then hangs, the fans go crazy after 10 minutes.

HELP?

2. Edot macrumors 6502

Hardware Test

I would run the hardware test that came with the G5. Then maybe you will know the problem and can take further action.

3. Anthony Jolleys thread starter macrumors newbie

4. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Do you have added memory that didn't come from apple? I know a Japanese guy whose PowerBook wouldn't boot up till he removed the third-party memory.

5. Anthony Jolleys thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I added more memory but this was put in by the resellers before I recieved the G5.

6. jonmichael23 macrumors newbie

i know the solution!

lol this same question arose at mac-forums.com. They figured out that the problem was the room temperature. The fans are set to kick in after the room gets a little hotter then the recommended temp. and if the room is hotter (it could also be too cold) when u start it up it will mess up since the fans are trying to turn on while the computers trying to start-up. I would suggest lowering/highering the room temp. and trying it. See if this helps, if not, who knows what it is. I never turn my mac off, I just always put it to sleep, I even think I read somewhere on apple.com that it is recommended to put it to sleep all the time unless you're going to be gone for 3-5 days or longer(maybe ur just restarting/turning it off because of new installs though)

Jonathan