G5 with 8GB of RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 17, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    i was just curious to see if anyone has everseen a dual 2ghz in action wiht 8GB of RAM.... how fast is it ????
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    you wouldn't see the difference unless you were video editing or audio editing. you need to running an application that needs a lot of ram. second off, you will still uses swap space (virtual memory) on your hard drive. because even though you have all the memory in the world some stuff will still be swap from the hard drive to the memory because most ppl program to be efficient in memory and not waste ram they don't need. i.e. if you plotted amount of ram vs performance you would reach a limit. in reality you really wouldn't need GB unless it for a very specific purpose. for most ppl for day to day computing 8gb isn't going to make a difference. also cost vs performance would make a difference too.
  3. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

Jan 28, 2004
    yeah i kno its not like i have anywhere near the amount of dough that i would need to get one but i just wonder what it would be like
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Actually, the Dual 2.0ghz G5 (and dual 1.8 i would assume) do best with 2GB of RAM in every benchmark. Some benchmarks preformed the same with 1.5GB, but the majority were best at 2GB (and those at 1.5GB were as high or higher). The 1.6ghz G5 had the largest performance jump at 1.5GB. 2GB showed little improvement for the benchmarks.