Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mary22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I have a g5 that where power only turns on -- no chime. At this point, I just want to continue to use my 20" cinema display with my macbook. I thought maybe the powered up g5 would be a power source for the display, but not so. Any ideas? I'm not a techie. thx.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a g5 that where power only turns on -- no chime. At this point, I just want to continue to use my 20" cinema display with my macbook. I thought maybe the powered up g5 would be a power source for the display, but not so. Any ideas? I'm not a techie. thx.

You need a ADC-DVI adapter, and a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter (Apple made one, and I believe Dr. Bott still does).

Mary22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks. i have that tho and it worked fine when my g5 was working. but g5 only turns on and does not actually start (no chime). maybe i should just start asking about how to get the g5 working again. i tried a couple of things but no help. have you got any suggestions for me on that?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you need a mains powered dvi to adc adapter in order to get your cinema display to show something coming from your MacBook
DVI to ADC monitor adapter which allows Apple monitors featuring their proprietary ADC connector to be connected to any computer with a standard DVI port. The adapter is mains powered and also connects to the host computer's USB port. The image signal, power and USB are then all passed to the monitor via the ADC connector.
because the studio display gets its power from the adc
063824953763c51e6fd779779fd125aa.jpg

cost about £70 to £160 depending on shop

Last edited:

Mary22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
My monitor is different from what you displayed. It has a squid cord -- three cords. the base isn't see-through, it's metal. I got it with the G5 and I'm wondering if it's only good for that, which would really annoy me. thanks for any help.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Oh, you would only need a DVI adapter then for your MacBook, what version MacBook do you have? I'll point you to some links.

hunter6690

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Try This

Try resseting the PRAM. My mac was doing the same thing and i reset the PRAM and did the chime and then i also think you should delete any new files. ( and i know there isnt viruses for mac)

Here is how to reset the PRAM:
1. Turn off your mac

2. Turn it on and quickly press these keys on your keyboard (Command, Option, P, and R)

3. Then it should reboot and do the startup chime

4. When it reboots release the keys

I hope i helped :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.