G5 Won't Save/Burn

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daveway, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have a client who told me their G5 tower is not saving anything to the HD or burning disks. They haven't touched it since this started happening. They asked if they should buy Disk Warrior but I told them not to until I saw it.

Any idea what could be wrong?

2. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

You mean with all the immense Mac knowledge, no one has an answer? ;)

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I doubt anyone wants to speculate on a problem this bizarre. I'm not sure I believe the "won't save anything to disk" problem, as I've A) never seen anything like this troubleshooting the MacOS since version 6, and B) I'm not even sure that a standard OSX install will run if it can't write anything to disk (VM files, for example).

In any case, if they actually can't write to disk, it's probably a permissions issue--they're not an admin and perhaps the folder they're trying to write to ended up being owned by someone else.

As for the can't burn issue, this might be related to a bug in Tiger where some G5s (perhaps other Macs, too) will report a "drive not supported" error in the Finder when you put in a blank CD. The drive is supported, of course, and there's a workaround (I remember reading about it elsewhere, though I haven't actually tried it yet), but it's weird when you first see it.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

5. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Nope. They just said, "We have a G5 and we can"t save anything or burn discs."

I know. I was kinda dumbfounded also.

6. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone know the workaround or where to find it? I'm running out of time.
    :eek:

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How about some troubleshooting first?

Or are you looking for the troubleshooting steps too?

8. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'll take anything I can get. :)

9. cubist macrumors 68020

10. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I doubt it is that simple.
    BTW is this the drive error, because I'm getting it also now.

Attached Files:

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So, no user can write to disk? Or you're getting it logged in as them? Are the logs being written to disk? Have you run an fsck of the drive/disk utility? Got DW or TTP?

13. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've laid out my plan.

Boot from install disc
    run fdisk
    repair permissions

Launch Open Firmware
    reset all rams

If that doesn't work then I'll use DiskWarrior to repair the directories. If DW doesn't work then I may reinstall the OS.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Mmkay, the "Drive not supported" error is COMPLETELY different from any problem they may be having writing data to the hard drive (though again, I have a feeling that half is a user error, not a computer problem).

The solution to the "Drive not supported" error, according to what I've read (I just now looked it up haven't tried myself yet) is to either force quit the Finder, which apparently resets something and causes it to start working again, or to reset the PRAM. I'm pretty sure MacFixIt said that there was a cache or plist file that needed deleting, but I can't remember what it was and apparently the force quit works just as well. If none of the above work, you could also try resetting NVRAM.

That's for the CDR problem; otherwise your troubleshooting list looks pretty good, though I'd be interested to hear if it's actually a disk problem and not user confusion on the HD front.

15. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

If the problem is still not fixed after I do my check list (above post), is it safe to say there is a HD failure or that a reinstall of the OS is needed?

16. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Job Done.

It's amazing how much repairing permissions can fix, yet many mac users don't know about it. :cool: