G5 won't sleep after installing 10.3.5!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trampaslake, Aug 23, 2004.

1. trampaslake macrumors newbie

I have a 1.8 single G5. I installed the 10.3.5 update and after that, the computer wouldn't sleep. The screen would go black, but the fan would still be turning and it would not "snore". So I call Apple and they tell me to reinstall 10.3. So I do and the thing sleeps fine. Thinking something was wrong with the way I download the update, I re-update to 10.3.5. Same problem as before.

Has anybody heard of this before? I thought I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't find it anywhere if I did. Does anybody have any ideas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Certainly let Apple know that 10.3.5 is causing this problem. Then re-install 10.3 and leave it at that. Since your computer is running 24/7 without sleeping, why not fold in the meantime. ;)

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I have the same computer. I'll try it when I get home.

4. Duncan H macrumors newbie

I've got an eMac (I only bought it last week, and I've never had a Mac before), and it does exactly the same thing. It'll sleep when ordered, but if I leave it, the fan keeps going.

When it arrived it had 10.3.4 on it, and worked ok. But I ran software update on the second day, and since then it's been exhibiting the described problem. I'm glad to see it's not just my machine.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm really surprised that the machines aren't shipped with 10.3.5. It seems that there is a glitch somewhere. Did you run repair permissions after the installation and then reboot the machine?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sorry, this time when I got the server is busy warning it caused an error. A glitch caused a duplicate. A previous time the duplicate warning fixed itself, when I didn't press anything.

7. vkapoormd macrumors member

I'm glad it didn't just happen to me; i upgraded to 10.3.5 in my Powerbook, and immediately had the same problem, my computer wouldn't sleep when it was supposed to; I trouble shot this with the apple care rep, and finally after an hour or so, we decided to re-install 10.3 and just upgraded to 10.3.4 to ensure it worked with airport express. It solved the not going to sleep problem; curiously, i haven't had any such problem with my G5, so go figure... :confused: