G5's at SouthPoint Mall, Durham, NC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Playfrsbee, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Playfrsbee macrumors newbie

They have a 1.6 and a 1.8 here on display. I'm typing this on one (on an emac keyboard, I might add). They are whisper quiet, and quite solid looking. Counting down the days till 8/29 for my Dual 2.0

Ethan

2. Bozola macrumors regular

I used one at the CompUSA in Seattle WA. The machine looks impressive.. but it's HUGE!!. I mean HUGE in comparison to the G4 powermac.

In addition, finder tasks and other trivial operation didn't seem to me any faster..

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Yeah, I concur. Finder tasks do not seem to be any faster over the G4 Towers, but the machine shows its muscle running Photoshop, as seen in the benchmarks. Which reminds me... I need to go run some PSBench on one of them (typing this on my iBook using the Pasadena stores Airport network). I also managed to snap some pictures before they told me not to take pictures in the store, and I'll post them later.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, I'm heading down to South Point this weekend to check them out. Man! I can't wait until they get an Apple Store at South PARK in Charlotte. It's supposed to becoming soon; I read articles in March about Apple leasing some space in the planned expansion.

But I do wish they had a Dual 2.0 on display, since that's the one I'm in the market for. I guess it doesn't matter. I'll just say: Wow, this 1.8 is zippy. The 2.0 is zippy x 2. And the look, which is another concern, will be the same.

I want to see for myself whether it is ugly or beautiful. I just can't tell from the photos.

5. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Hey, I thought I was the only one here from Charlotte. :D I've been waiting for the South Park store also. I wonder how many Mac users we have here. There's a user group that meets on the first Saturday of the month at the CompUSA / South Blvd. I found out about it a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll see you there. ;)