G5's Boxes Being Tested

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by agreenster, Mar 1, 2002.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

This a pretty weak rumor, but a rumor nonetheless. An Apple techie from Cupertino recently confirmed with me that G5'S are being tested on a pretty large scale in desktops there at the Apple HQ. The only thing this did for me was help to establish a timeline, and to confirm that they finally have a G5 architecture, and that G5's are desktop chips, not handheld chips like others were speculating. I really hope we see G5's by the end of the year.

I Really really hope we do....even though I still guess MWSF '03 as the release.

2. theranch macrumors 6502

sooner

Let's hope they are released sooner than that....maybe MWNY! (if this rumor or information is at all true)

3. unclepain macrumors member

Oh-please, Oh Please please, please...

Man, I've been waiting for this moment when the planets all align and produce a G5 tower, with 1GHZ for the lowend model, DDR ram, and Superdrive for 1600 bucks. Please Lord God Almighty, let this happen at MWNY this year. I've got the money to spend, but will only lay down the smack for the configuration above, even if I have to wait. My G4-400 is coming up on 3 years old and it's time for a change. Steve, can you feel the money burning a hole in my pocket?

4. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

An interesting Phenomenon

Nearly everyone here at MacRumors who has been beggin for a new G5 has an 'aging 400mHz G4" at home. I also have a 400mHz G4, and feel it is time to upgrade, even though I probably wont because I just bought a 500PowerBook. But it just seems like the 400mHz is the dead dinosaur.

5. unclepain macrumors member

G4 400

Yeah, the speed bump is nice, but the kicker is the Superdrive and getting the price for one under $2000. But, If I can get superdrive, G5, new motherboard and DDR on low end, then I'm biting. If one doesn't come out this summer, then I might actually consider the iMac, even though I know I wouldn't be getting nearly as good of a speed bump. Decisions, decisions.

6. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Id love to get my hands on a dual 1gHz. I use the dual 800's at school and love them. They render and perform so well. We also have 2.0gHz P4's, and Im not all cracked up about them.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: An interesting Phenomenon

I'll admit....the G4 400 tower is a nice machine....but I've found it limits on more than one occasion...

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I am waiting for a G5 tower to come out before replacing my soon to be gone G4 500 tower. I just hope that it is before MWSF, so that there can be at least one revision before I pick it up. I also might be forced to wait a little longer, depending on the finance situation.

Either way, the sooner they release the G5, the better... We need something to slam the peecee people with. I think it would be sweet to have a G5 that blows the doors off of a 3GHz+ p4 based system. I know from real world experience that the G4 outperforms the intel chips in most tasks (that I care about at least). I have a G4 733 here at work, that out performs a new p4 1.8GHz peecee.

Besides the fact that I can run two different OS's on my Mac with little configuration headaches... try to do THAT on a peecee without buying additional software :D..

Mac's are superior... :D

9. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

G5

I am waiting for the G5 to come out, that's when I am going to buy. I hope you are right.

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Well there are still a few months before MWNY, so Apple should have enough time to get it done right and intro it there. What else are they working on that could be released with more thunder than the "fastest computer ever"?

I've got a G4 400 too.

11. theranch macrumors 6502

G4 400?

I wish that I had a G4 400. I was one of the people who rushed out and bought the only G4 available when they were released....a G4 350. A month later the G4 400 was available at around the same price that I paid. That sucked...for me.
    So....if we're at all lucky I'll be able to purchase a new G5 come July-August.

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

The first time I buy a mac desktop I want it to be the G5 one. Hope it happens soon.

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Here in the south bay:

Apple has been testing G5 and accompanying "parts" for at least a year. I have smoked out a couple of Apple's R&D team that were testing such toys. Crazy Wirehead kinda geeks. Makes all of us look like technophobes.

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a G4 400 agp too, it is nice. I do not need too much speed right now, I need ram mostly.

15. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

i also have a g4 400 mhz AGP graphics

I used to be able to play dvd's on it with no problem. But last week I mysteriously was not able to play them any more. I did not install any software or even do anything besides charge my ipod. When I opened the Apple DVD player it gives me this error:
    "Apple DVD Player is not compatible with with the graphics card that drives the main monitor."
    I have version Z10-2.0
    Sometimes it lets me in, but right when it starts to play it freezes. I am running OS 9.1

Is there a newer version of their player, or is there another software doodad, or are there some extensions that I should enable/denable:confused:

16. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: i also have a g4 400 mhz AGP graphics

Well, first of all, get 9.2.2. If you have a decent net connection it should be easy. Second, check if the recent DVD player update has an OS9 version. Third, reinstall the DVD related extensions. If none of that works, try reinstalling the system (if you're desperate).

17. jaykk macrumors 6502a

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Well, I'll chime in with my tad bit of info concerning the G5s. This is from an email from a programmer aquaintence of mine and the info he had. I edited out some info as not to get him or his friend in trouble.

This is about 3 weeks old, but I think he also told me that the test boxes had been picked up by Apple already. Not sure if his friend still has the sealed box.

Anyway, my info:)

19. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Interesting...

that means it has either a
    100MHz bus and a 14x multiplier (not likely)
    200MHz bus and a 7x multiplier
    400MHz bus and a 3.5x multiplier
    or an x MHz bus and some wierd multiplier (not likely, all the chips I've heard of use y or y.5 multipliers, where y is a whole number).

Also, does anyone have any idea whether the G5 is going to use HyperTransport, RapidIO, or 3GIO (not likely, it's not very far along yet)
    A lot of the rumors have said RapidIO, but Hypertransport is a lot farther along (read as: already being used) and Apple is a member of the HyperTransport Consortium.

20. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Re: Oh-please, Oh Please please, please...

Amen to that!

21. kaneda macrumors regular

No G5 til next year please...

am I the only one that hope G5 will release next year? :O) I hope not this year...becoz I just wasted my money on snowboard gears..:O) NO MONEY FOR G5...I hate to see other people get it before me....:O)

OOOOHHHH...G5!!!!

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

23. GetSome681 macrumors regular

WOW, CAN EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS G5 THING@!@ I AM DROOLING ALL OVER MYSELF AND KEEP WETTING MYSELF!!@!!:D :D

24. rekras macrumors regular

this is good, alot of the new g5 rumors are pointing to MWNY. ill be there to see em! HEHA

we should all start getting together at macworlds...
    we can all wear macrumors pins or somethan...

25. germanknee macrumors member

i think we'll see the MPC7470 G4 in MWNY July 02 and MPC7500 G5 in MWSF January 03.
    RapidIO for the G5