G5s in July? Than...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacAztec, Jun 4, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

If there is a G5 release in July, what can we expect from the rest of the line?
    My 2 cents:

iMac boosted to 800 and 933MHz
    Powerbook at 800 or 867/1GHz
    iBook moved to a G4...733 and 800MHz
    eMac is moved to 800MHz
    iMac is still there, but Apple is riding the G3s

I believe at MWNY, we wont see a G5. But if we do, we will probly get the G5, X.2, and an upgraded powerbook, and upgraded iMac

Than at MWSF or sooner, ibook goes to G4, emac is boosted, and probly G5s are boosted.

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm if they *DID* release the G5s this summer, idd think itdd be higher than that, but if its just G4 upgrades for the G4 puters, then those are realistic, and i hope there are price reductions on the g4 imac cuz they look so cool (saw one that wasnt turned on on saturday) :D

3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

no way!

Why would anyone think that the Powerbooks would be upgraded so soon.?
    They were just bumped mere weeks ago, I hardly think that Apple would do such a foolhardy thing, despite your best wishes or desires.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its only June 5th, we've got more than a month to go before we see what Apple's going to do. This type of discussion will be rehashed a dozen times before the keynote, uhhgghhhh! Its almost as bad as saying iWalk.....

Personally, I don't think that we'll see G5s this year, look for revamped G4s with better memory and faster busses. With all the complaints about fan noise in the current desktops, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the power source moved out of the case to save room and remove heat.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

External brick? Yeccchh! Hopefully they would just use better quality/quieter fans to solve the issue.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, a external power transformer, surge protector and power strip all wrapped into one would be the best bet and I could something like that happening. The benefits would be worth while. And you'd still need the fans for the CPU(s), so who knows. Just looking at all that's been done since this last enclosure was made, makes me think the new one will have something 'innovative':D

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't see a g5 this year

heck, i barely see one at all. dang

i just hope jobs has some massive stuff in his pocket. the sheer surprise would be amazing if he pulled out a lot of stuff at mwny. i can't wait.

but yet, we all have to. over a month.

8. tortus macrumors member

Uhhhhhh

Uh, dude. You wanna see his big thingy?

9. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Uhhhhhh

You are sick.

Please, leave the forums because of your immaturity.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would say that because of the numerous G4 rumors for July and the minimal rumors for the G5 (probably for reason) we [won't] probably see a G5 in July.

Besides, I think that the G4 still has a lot of life in it. Apple could give the PowerMacs another G4 upgrade before they move on. Once they do, their other lines of products should still have a G4 in them. And once this happens, I would expect:
    Wild assumptions here FYI:
    (1) G5 in Jan. 2003 at MWSF.
    (2) iBook upgraded to a G4 by then.
    We may see:
    The PowerMac go to 1.4GHz
    The iMac G4 go to 1GHz, maybe a little faster.
    The eMac go to 900MHz, maybe 1GHz.
    The Powerbook go to 1GHz
    The iBook go to a G4 running at 700 or 800MHz.
    Again, these are guesses, but mostly reasonable.

Fear the King.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I second that. But, again, typical newbies. Trying to raise their post count...and that post was completely pointless. Well, I'm not going to be the one getting into that.

Re: Externals.

IMO I would recommend just something simple for a PowerMac. Besides, it's hard enough trying to keep the power supply and wiring on my desk whenever I need to plug something into the Cube, which I need to tilt. :)

Fear the King.

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: Uhhhhhh

ha ha! This is rich. A 13(?) year old telling a 25(?) year old to not be so immature! :D (Disclaimer: no offense meant to either party involved)

I'm not expecting a G5 until perhaps jan 2003. Ha, remember most people hoping for the G5 at SF2002? and to think we've still got another months' worth of rumour-milling to go round... I'll be looking for revised cases for the towers, with a speed bump. Not expecting anything more.

That in itself would keep me happy :)

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hmm... I actually thought that was kinda funny. ;)

He should have ended the post with a " :eek: " though... oh well!

I think from here on out I'm going to go totally nuts and contradict myself at every turn. So, for this post, I'm going to say we see G5's in July!!!! Next thread that comes up on this, I'll say we won't see G5's until next year. And the third thread that comes up on this, I'll say we won't see the G5's at all. Etc., etc., etc. Anyone else with me? :rolleyes:

14. tortus macrumors member

Why, thank you Hemingray! And to King Cobra and MacAztec, you guys are wound too tight, and I personally believe that persistent speculation about the g5 with no hard facts to support its release date (though it gets our mouths nice and moist) is immature and irresponsible.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Just in case many of you are confused about my post, I meant to say that we probably won't see G5s in July.

And tortus, making speculation and guesses should be what makes a rumor more exciting. Besides, a little prediction couldn't hurt, right? If we had no support to the G5 release date then we would have to make up rumors for when it might come out. I don't think it's immature or irresponsible. It's a rumor's site. So based on all the rumors about an updated G4 in July, we can rumor that the G5 may come out sometime else. I am expecting January.

Fear the King.

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

This is not good, all I see is with these delays in releasing the G5 is a situation similar to that G4 500Mhz fiasco a while back and also to palm's lack of technological advancement the last couple of years. Now that I think of it, it's all moto's fault! They're really hindering Apple with their horrible job at updating the PowerPC, and they also screwed over palm with the dragonball. It'd be awesome if AMD or Intel got into making PowerPCs, but I guess it's just to hard to get the licensing.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: G5s in July? Than...

from reading a recent macworld article on g4 apollo, i think g5 is next year

my guess though...sooner would definitely be a bonus:D

18. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

FireWire2?

This is a little off-topic, but does anyone have any ideas when we might see New Enclosures/ G5's with FireWire (aka GigaWire)? Thanks

Bill

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

When will you guys get it? There's no incentive for Intel or AMD to produce PPC chips for Apple. The market is very limited. If Intel/AMD were to produce PPC chips, they'd have to look at bigger markets like Motorola and IBM are doing. That would leave Apple in the same position; using chips that are primarily designed for another application.

MOT is/will be making more money from PPC chips sold to Cisco than than Apple. This means that Cisco will determine how the PPC line progresses.

IBM has sold more PPC chips to Nintendo than to Apple. So Nintendo has more say in how the PPC line progresses.

Apple needs to sell more Macs if they want faster chips. In the end, it's a chicken and egg discussion.

Oh, and Palm screwed themselves by not evolving the OS. Not Motorola.

20. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

If the PowerMacs go faster, will the XServe's match their speed?

21. Curiousstrngmint macrumors member

G4 iBooks

Does NOBODY think that the iBook will get a g4 chip in new york? Please pretty please oh please...

22. Lynx macrumors newbie

No G5 before 2003

G5 for next year

Hello,

It has been made clear by members of Apple France during the "professional Days" recently that G5 processors is being tested by Apple, Motorolla already delivers some processors to Apple, but as for the G4 it seems that Motorolla is just not able to start large production immediatly. The current estimated date to see the first G5 is Jan 2003 at the earliest, and it could just be an announcement, with real system powered with G5 available mid-2003.

here is the link : http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzco...2002-06-06#2709
    For those not reading french (a few billions), there are also 2 additional information :
    - OSX server jaguar will be released that summer (probably demoed during MacWorld in july).
    - it seems that there will be a XServe version, that could be use as desktop computer, where the big ethernet card will be replaced by a more standard one, but the graphic card will be exchange to a better one (ATI 8500).
    That's all.

Regards

23. boymerang macrumors member

hmmm déjà vu...

anyway. i don't think you'll see the iBooks get a G4 any time soon. i think apple will keep the processor gap. besides, the average consumer doesn't really need altivec, do they? how awkward would it be for apple to market a 700mhz G3 iBook alongside a 550mhz or 667mhz G4 iBook? assuming they don't release an 800mhz G4 iBook...i mean, which would you buy? everyone would be confused. the overlap would be strange, don't you think?

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, my opinion is that when Apple does get around to putting in G4s in the iBook, they'll discontinue the use of G3s. That way, there's no confusion. Also, since they've released the 700mhz iBook, I don't see the iBook getting a G4 lower than 800mhz.

About whether "consumers" need Altivec or not. I believe that consumers need Altivec. A lot of consumer apps utilize Altivec. iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie (I think it does) all use Altivec. Not to mention that the OS uses it.

25. Lynx macrumors newbie

G4 ibook

the only reason for a G4 iBook is that the new Quartz system from Apple, is designed to work with G4, altivec plus 32Mb graphic card, so if you want to enjoy it on iBook, then Apple has to put a G4 in the iBook + a better graphic card. In addition I think it will be smart from Apple to make G4 iBook, because in that way they will have to deal with only 1 type of processor (before the G5 to come), so less testing and compatibility issues?!