G5's on Ebay

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cr2sh, Jul 5, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

2. Golem macrumors 6502

Well he is trying to sell a powerbook g5 as well that is a g4. But you have to wonder why someone with 100's of purchases of baseball items and books is suddenly selling a g5:)

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

DO NOT BID ON THIS. Bidding wouldn't be gutsy... it would be crazy.

I bet it's a case where a legit account has been hijacked. All the signs are there: a not-yet available product, offered at a HUGE discount... a different e mail address given in the item description... a seller account with great feedback but on totally different items... no picture of the actual item, just apple.com photos.

If you contact him, he'll tell you that the real e mail account associated with the seller account isn't working (or something like that), so you have to use the one in the description. This is because if you use the real one, the message goes to the person who really owns the seller account, and the cover is blown.
    If you ask him about escrow with a service of your choice (escrow.com?), he'll give you some story like the deal needs to be done quickly or his company doesn't allow escrow.

I've seen this exact pattern before. We all want a G5 tomorrow, but THIS IS A SCAM.

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

and why all his clients feedback look the same. 700 of em.

some guys wanted to talk to this guy .. didnt sound really good. this is all about the same guy, and how he responded etc. yummy. :rolleyes:

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to bid... and pay with Monopoly money. :D

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

8. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

That one's gone now, as well. So who's getting all these machines pulled? The infamous Apple legal? If they're "pre-sells," I don't see the pretext. But if they were, somehow, "in hand..." i don't see how that could be, though.

10. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I have a great idea for a new escrow service. MonopolyPal. It will be the only escrow service that won't pay out the Monopoly funds until both the buyer and seller have passed go and are not in jail.

I am not a fan of eBay, and this is one of the reasons why it seems so cheesy to me.

11. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

apple legal

i think the only way that apple legal can get involved is if it is indeed in thier custody at this time and they are selliing it now.

i might be wrong though.

12. filmcutter macrumors member

here's another fishy one

This is one that caught my attention:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740575116&category=14912

This is for a 1.42 G4, plus a 23" & a 20" cinema display, plus 30GB iPod, plus Airport Extreme Base station, plus a whole lot more (basically every option maxed out from the Apple order page) for only $3350!!!
    I contacted the seller and he is in Italy and will only take payment by Western Union. Very similar to many other stories that are popping up.
    If it's too good to be true....
    :rolleyes:

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you forgot the 4x180 gb drives... haha

these people are awesome

why not just put a real sounding item, and then steal money from people...

14. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: here's another fishy one

Auction says that it is in Iowa. I've asked him if I can come out and pick it up and pay cash at the same time.;)

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

And the shipping is only 12 bucks. Hmm, a bit low huh? Pretty good feedback but probaly a scam...

16. filmcutter macrumors member

he's back

looks like the same guy is back again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741045611&category=14912

Same set up as before, just a different seller. Looks like someone is hijacking seller profiles/names. If you look at this sellers ratings, he/she has some interesiting things sold and bought, but I haven't found anything computer related.

It's all giving me a sinking feeling about EBay...:mad:

17. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: he's back

I contacted this guy as well. He sent me an e-mail explaining that he was in Italy. I asked if he would accept Paypal (which I feel reasonably secure about) and his second response said that only Western Union money grams. It also included a long, impassioned plea for me to trust his sincerity. He's also offering to sell the whole kit'n'kiboodle for like $2500, or a 17-inch PB with only one additional 23-inch CD for $2200.

As has been said here before, if it sounds too good...

18. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Hey, how do people hijack eBay accounts anyway?

I frequently receive e-mails allegedly from eBay reqeusting that I log on and confirm my password. They look legit, but I've never done so beleiving them to be just a bit too suspicious.