G5s Shipping?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    mrougeux reports that his credit card called him regarding a charge from Apple Computer for his Dual 2.0GHz.

Online store stats don't reflect shipping, but credit cards are typically not charged until products ship.

[Indeed, it's possible that it could have been a preapproval charge placed... but we won't know more until mrougeux can supply some details]
  2. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

Feb 18, 2003
    South Windsor, CT
  3. macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    If this is true this is great news. Apple shipping G5's A month early? but im skeptical, I just think they just charged it and thats all
  4. macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    No, if they've charged his card, the computer has gone out.

mrougex, make sure the batteries are charged for your digital camera!
  5. macrumors 6502

May 13, 2002
    Well, time to get on my knees and pray (ordered BTO Dual 2GHz right after Keynote, via Apple Educational-Institution).

Where's ma prayin' kneepads?... =)
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2003

yeah this is so awesome that g5's are shipping, but my PB sure as hell isnt. I ordered it 7/19/03. Then i got pushed to 7/24. Then 8/04. Now 8/13. This is getting ridiculous...I just hope I get overnight shipping or 2nd day shipping free because im goign to college on the 16th with or without the 12". Anybody had similar experiences (looong delay) and does apple try to accomodate or am I up the creek?
  7. macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2003
    NYC, Phoenix

You better hope (for yours and all the rest of us patiently and impatiently waiting's sake) that the delay is because they are holding out to release and ship you a new rev.

I think I'll have yet another drink to false hope springing eternal!
  8. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    If this is true it flys in the face of that other rumor that suggested a possible Dual 1.8 because Dual 2.0's were in short supply. Can't be in short supply if they are shipping this early, unless they are going out as Single 2.0s and they are going to mail yo'all the other processor in a few weeks. :p
  9. macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    IIRC, the dual 1.8 rumors indicated that the dual 1.8 option was a way to move more 1.8 Ghz processors, because the demand for a single 1.8 processor was so low. The availability of the 2 Ghz processor wasn't really the issue
  10. macrumors member

Dec 21, 2002
    maybe apple knew theyd start shipping now and told everybody they would ship awhile from now
  11. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    Nah, they have obviously just decided to put all the 1.8s in Powerbooks with liquid nitrogen cooling systems. Its got to be cheaper than losing anymore credibility and goodwill. :rolleyes:
  12. macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2002
    Clarkston, GA
    I REALLY seriously doubt that the computers are shipping yet. I placed my order on August 1 and they shipped my DVI-to-VGA adaptor today. Got a tracking number and everything. And they also charged my (father's) credit card as well.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high. My ship date still says 10/7/03 although when I talked to the Apple rep. today about changing my shipping address, he wanted to know the date that I would be at my .edu institution....strange....

Well, bah, cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath.

Graham W.
  13. macrumors member

Mar 30, 2003
    I was in the Apple SoHo store on Saturday and an employee stated that they would get their floor models this week and that if I preordered a G5 it would be shipped this week. However, we all know that some of these reps know very little.

14. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Apple, like most reputable companies, doesn't charge your credit card until the product ships. That's how they did it on both an iPod and a PB that I've bought through the on-line Apple Store.
  15. macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2002
    Re: grrrrrreaaat....

They are not shiping your PB beause there are non in stock. I wont jump into rumors of new PB, but the only thing I can tell you is that there are no 15" and 12" on stock, Apple has none left.

16. macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003

Actually, I think rumors indicated that 2gh duals were in such high demand compared to the single 1.6/1.8, and that apple didn't have enough macs at 2ghz ready. That was the reason for the 1.8 dual suggestion. To spread the top-end powermac sales a little bit.
    BTW the newly priced 1.25 G4 over here in Japan is in incredible demand. Sold out everywhere!
  17. macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Could be they got a limited number in and your 1 of the lucky few. I know in the past Apple Australia got their very first shipment of 9500/132's in and we got 5 out of 18 just because we were fast on the phone the day they were released.

I would have expected 1.6 or 1.8 models to go out first but surely they would have had some 2Ghz chips when they started production?
  18. macrumors newbie

May 21, 2003
    New York
    My ship date says 10/8 which actually two days before my birthday which is pretty cool, makes it easier to think of this as a combination graduation/birthday present.

Now would be a good time to find things to look forward to between now and then to stave off insanity.

A Kick in the Head: A webcomic for the disgruntled New Yorker
  19. macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2003
    Re: Re: grrrrrreaaat....

so does this mean that I am stuck until they update or what? Anybody shed any light on this, and sorry I "contaminated" this thread with PB junk
  20. macrumors member

May 29, 2003
    i am localized
    hrmm... no charge as of yet to my "Apple Instant Loan" (and they typically make a small 1-2$ charge before making the official charge... just to test).

However, I noticed something odd on my order (a dual 2ghz): In the detailed order view, it has my g5 listed with a canceled icon under it... then a new order for what appears to be an identical g5 in its place... kind of odd.
  21. macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: grrrrrreaaat....

That is the million dollar question. To tell you the truth, I don’t know. There are three possibilities. Apple is either expecting shipments of Ti PB form the factory and your order will be delayed (as it has been already), or they will release new PB in the next two weeks. The third possibility means that they plan on not selling 15” and 12” PB until September when they are supposed to refresh the line. The last possibility, to my view, is very unlikely. I don’t believe there exists a company stupid enough to forgo portable sales for a month, so the third scenario is unlikely. Many other people are experiencing the same delays you are. The reason, I don't know!!
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    It's probably just a hold charge that credit card companies use. It doesn't actually charge your credit card but it holds the available credit for when the item is actually shipped (and then the item actually goes to your credit card.) It could be that Apple is rectifying the edu. price change now verses modifying the chargehold at the shipping time (which will overlap the actual charge.) I used to work with NABANCO on this process and it is a crazy order of steps.

I've also had personal dealings with items like this where I've had multiple systems on a credit card that totalled in the $100K level and the credit card company called me concerning it a few days after the systems were ordered. Seemed the original system I had ordered still had a credit hold and when I modified the order, the new credit hold went in as an additional new system and it takes longer to remove a credit hold then place a new one-- so a week later, the credit hold dropped by 1/2.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2003
    cleveland, oh
    see, i placed my order, then at a later time, upped the shipping to priority overnight (i am in the first batch of deliveries, ordered the day of the keynote, i want to be able to say i was one of the first people in the world with a dual g5 powermac :) ) and then they re-ran the credit card amount because the shipping proce changed. Well, the credit card i am using for this i am ONLY using for this, so i put a freeze on the account, and didn't take it off, because i didn't know they were going to re-run the card to check it's credit limit. so then i got an email from apple telling me they were trying to ship my g5, but they couldn't because of something with the credit card... but to my dismay, it couldn't run the credit check due to the updated shipping, so they sent me the email... long story short, i'm sure it was something like that. his credit card number was run to check the avaliable credit amount, but no charges were made. I don't doubt that the 1.6 and 1.8 models will start shipping sometime next week when the apple store gets their floor models in, but i reckon that us dual 2ghz folks will be waiting until 8/29.... yeah, it sucks, but at least we're not in that new fangled 10/07/2003 group!
  24. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2003
    Re: G5's Shipping?

Since when do Credit Cards know how to operate a phone? :)
  25. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    I was talking to my dad yesterday, who had gone to the Apple store on L.I. to check out iSight. One of the employees told him that the SoHo store had already received G5 demo models. I didn't think so, since I hadn't read anything about it, but maybe this means they will be getting them any day now. Don't know how this affects ship date though...