G6 at 4Ghz!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by G4scott, Aug 10, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

http://www.geek.com/procspec/procspec.htm

Check out the processor speeds for the G6! I like how they know that the G6 is going to be a 4ghz processor, and that the G7 is coming out in 2004, but they don't know jack about the G5... These guys are funny. Really, they are...

I also like how the itanium, intel's new savior, is rated at only 6 gigaflops, compared to the 7.5 gigaflops of a single processor 1Ghz Mac, and the 15 gigaflops of the dual processor model... (actually, I'm not sure if a single 1Ghz processor has 7.5 gigaflops of computing power, but it seems logical, since 2 chips are 15 gigaflops, and yes, I know that some of the performance is lost in the use of more than 1 processor...)

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

What I would do to get my hands on a 4 GHz g6...:D I think every single person subscribed to this forum would do drastic things to get one of those - and that includes spending a lot more money then anyone in their right mind should ;) . I guess that means apple has us right where they want us.

3. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

G7???

I remember back in 1999 hearing that the G5 should be out "anytime now...."

LAME

As far as the G7 being out in 2004.....YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

4. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Oh, i believe it

MWNY 2004 -
    "Oh, one last thing. You know that G5 thingy that everyone's been talking about for 5 years? We decided to change the name, and here it is!"

5. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Ow please...im getting tired of the G5 rumors allready (like the PDA)
    now we're getting G6 rumors. haaaa :)
    NO!

6. aznatari macrumors member

The G5's should be coming out anytime soon. within the end of this year or maybe the beginning of next year. Its really quite disapointing why apple has taken so long in maybe G5's, G6's and G7's. Apple must try intrmittently to speed up their process for us comsumers today, so three will be more costumers interested in puchasing apple's prodcuts. It going to be a long wait, but it should pay off with this incredibily blazing fast processor.

atari

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

well actually according to recent articles on the G5 in macuser (www.macuser.co.uk) it is apparently never likey to be in a desktop system because it is useless as anything thats not embedded networking etc. etc. ANd according to macuser apple are likely to skip to the "rumoured" G6 chip that is based on the G5 technologies but more useful for desktop implementations.

there you go!! :p

edit:

i read this article in the printed magazine so it may not be on the website.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think we'll see a G6 in 2010.

Everyone happy now? :D :rolleyes:

There was already a discussion on the Upcoming G5 through G7. If you can find the article, read the first 10 to 15 posts for some "intelligent" discussion. After that, it becomes an old-fashioned flamewar.

9. whitegold macrumors member

a ha ha ha

G6 rumours! Love it!

When the G5 condenses from it's current vapour state I'll be interested!

Seriously, though I think one factor in the delaying of the G5 might be (and don't hurt me for this) that maybe they just aren't any good?

For example, AMD have been having a lot of trouble getting their new Opteron chips to run even as FAST as an Athlon. Intel copped a lot of flack for the poor performance of Itanium. Pentiums when first bought out were slower than a 486DX4 100 at the time. The first PPC chips probably had similar teething issues.

Maybe it's just taking this much time to get them working properly, let alone wafer yields, etc?

10. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

G5

I could wait another 6 months to a year for an IBM Power4 desktop processor.
    The new PMs released this month will pave the way with DDR and HyperTransport.
    Looks promising!

11. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Apple ill never "speed" things up. never.
    They want to milk every last cent out of every model.
    I bet the next G4 will only have ddr and maybe a faster bus. woooooo! what an improvement. :)
    I'll wait until something really exciting comes out.

12. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Seriously though....

you really gotta feel for the G4 during all this mess.......all we have concentrated on the past 3 years is- "When is the G5 coming out"

Poor G4.....most definitely the 'Middle Child' of all computer processors!

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Well you'll be pleased to know the G5 based PDA is due next week * CONFIRMED *

It's 19Ghz with 4Gb of RAM and can run off a watch battery for 6 months, the price $399.

It comes in 4 techy flavours :

Graphite
    Aqua
    Beige (to temp those style concious windows users to the platform)

and snow white.

The snow white model comes with 7 tiny furbys with unique personalities that can help you set it up.

:D

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Those specs have to be based on really old processor roadmaps. I mean, under the IBM 750FX chip area, it says that the PPC 750CXe 700Mhz came out on May 20, 2002, but the 1Ghz version came out in 2001. WTF?!?!?!