G8 Summit to Exhibit the Holosonics Audio Spotlight Laser-like Sound System

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by King Cobra, Jun 1, 2004.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Full article

Holosonics has been selected to showcase its unique Audio Spotlight technology at the G8 Summit in Sea Island, Georgia, this June....

Dr. Pompei invented the Audio Spotlight while a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In contrast to traditional loudspeakers, which spread sound in all directions, the patented Audio Spotlight technology creates an extremely focused beam of sound that can be directed and "shone" much like light. The Audio Spotlight is widely used by museums, retailers, and exhibitors to provide sound to specific areas, without creating background noise.

2. bella macrumors member

What an invention! Is this invention available to buy anyplace? Anyone know of a cost? Or where to find out more?

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I googled for info but apart from a few articles about it there is the company website http://www.holosonics.com/ but not much else. It all looks very cool though.

This would be very helpful for my father-in-law for example who is a bit hard of hearing. Imagine a volume control just for him!!!!! I know his neighbours would be happy.

4. bella macrumors member

my thought for use was at trade shows - we could have individual "sound beams" over each product telling about it

5. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

my thought was for my upstairs neighbors, who seem to like having parties in the middle of the night while i'm trying to sleep... *sigh*

6. msilsby macrumors newbie

But I thought that we were only up to G5's? I knew that at the WWDC there was going to be an announcement about a bit of a speed bump, but G8's?