gaa, cramps...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vniow, Apr 25, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah yeah, I know I should go to the pharmacist or ask a medical professional or something besides people at a tech site but I'm too impatient. :rolleyes:

So for the past couple days I've been having these weird cramps right below my breastbone, about 2 inches smack above my bellybutton. They come and go and it gives me the feeling like I have to burp but I can't. I've tried Tums and Pepto-Bismol but neither have done the trick. I'm not on any other meds at the moment except for the occasional Ibuprofin for my swelling tongue. I had a chili dog the other day that left me a little queasy so that probably has something to do with it but why cramps? And why aren't they constant, like they're not happening at the moment but they were a few minutes ago and they're pretty consistent when they are, I can almost hold a stopwatch to when its going to happen once they start. They don't hurt, just uncomfortable and frustrating when every once in awhile, I feel this pulsating pressure inside my chest. :eek:

Anyone had these before or anything similar so I can know at least something to do? A doctor is a last resort, especially for something relatively minor like this but its still a bother.

-Ani

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I can look at it for ya;)

sounds like gas....did you drink lemon tea or anything of thats sort if not you should

Bless

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I have a lot of tea (dunno if I've any lemon though) at home but I haven't bothered to make it. The only thing I've had to drink for the past few days is water and soymilk. I'll try some when I get off of work. :)

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Could also be your lungs or descending aorta pushing on something or tearing...
    sometimes people have a small pneumothorax at the bottom of their lungs and it feels like a cramp combined with a bloated but empty feeling...they do usually resolve themselves after 2 weekes or so.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah that's what I was going to say...

NOT!!! Hope you feel better anway!

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

7. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

In my upper abdomen? :confused:

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

YES!

I have one, it was diagnosed from an ultrasound.
    I was having pain in the middle of my abdomen, just under my breastbone. It was causing pain, making me feel gassy and nothing helped. An attack can be 15 minutes to 4 hours in length. I can have one after having a fatty meal, or anytime but particularly at night. If I don't eat enough fat, I can also get an attack.

I would be willing to bet money that you have a gall stone. See a doctor, get an ultrasound and let us know!

9. imacintel macrumors 68000

OK...ummm...that little time of the month that women have that men don't like to bring up???:eek:

edit: wow, a bunch a people responded without me knowing.

10. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

-_- you really are just well not all that intelligent. I would guess that she would know the difference between then two.

And from the sounds of it this is quite different.

And if it were a gallstone you don't want to ignore it. They can get lodged and block the excretion of Bile which is very bad. They i believe can give you medicine to break them up or remove your gall bladder.

12. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm ignoring mine for the time being. It is a larger stone and is too big to slip into the duct and cause a blockage. I get pain from it every 3-4 months or so, but I am hoping for something less invasive to be discovered before I have my gall bladder removed.

13. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

:rolleyes: A period?

Something tells me its neither of those...

A gallstone sounds scary though, part of the reason I've been reluctant to see a doctor is lack of insurance, and the last time I went I got a pretty good sized bill that I couldn't afford, ugh. I'll check out the free clinics though (despite their suckiness) and see what turns up.

14. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

All I can say is that I hope the cramps subside soon.

15. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

lol:p

get it checked, let us know. Not having health insurance sucks. I will be surprised if its not a gall stone.

16. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

So I did a bit of research and I don't know if I quite fit the symptoms of a gallstone. I have sort-of "attacks" but they're nowhere near as intense as that or any other links say they should be and they don't last nearly as long. Its more like every once in awhile, I feel this pulsating pressure (which isn't really painful, just uncomfortable) come and go, not sharp pains for up to 30 minutes or so.

But who am I to play doctor, I'll have it checked out as soon as I can find time.

-Ani

17. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

18. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Gas apparently, or something like it. It went away after a few days so I never bothered to see a doctor about it.

*shrug*

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Tsk tsk. Shouldn't self-medicate.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i do. i prefer it this way.

"Ignorance is Bliss" sometimes.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

^^ It can be downright dangerous, though. :( And then what would we do?? If two of MR's prolific posters and prolific photo posters were to become too ill to post more photos of their gorgeous selves?! :eek: ;)

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

self-medicating is the best thing ever

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gorgeous? moi? no. Ani, si.

and i doubt i'd be noticed if gone....

but anyways.... i self medicate for my migraines. and most of my illnesses, i do have medical insurance, but i'd rather take care of myself than have a doctor pump me with meds....

if i have anything that i can tell is bad or not going away i'll go talk to a pharmacist, if still not relieved, i will end up at the doctor. but i would like to think that other than my eating habits i'm in rather good health.

but i could be wrong too.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

who are you again?

nah i would miss you bunches

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Gall Stone attacks can happen months apart, I know you said you didn't experience the intensity of pain that many people report, but it could be a very small stone. If it happens again, please just get it checked. :)