Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
So Ive been trying to help my sister get video into her new ipod and I must say that it is proving to be a non applesque job. Draging movies into the itunes library seems to work, they play in itunes fine. Then when she tries to drag them to the ipod she gets a message saying they wernt copied because the ipod cant play this type of file. Whats going on here... not the apple ease of use ive gotten used to.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
You're trying to drag .mov files onto your iPod, and the iPod will only open h.264 files (.m4v). You'll need to download MovieToGo (now called MoviesForMyPod) here http://www.digigami.com/download/
Just open the app, then click the Open Movie button, choose the .mov file on your HDD, then click Convert to iPod Video, and let it go. It takes awhile to compress, but that's the only way. Once it's done, open it in iTunes and drag it to your iPod.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I hate ipod...

GAAAA new ipod video trying to figure out how to do all the video stuff AND ITS NOT EASY... I did everything on this

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

It all worked the video would play fine i itunes I moved it to the ipod and audio played and NO ViDEO THIS IS NOT APPLE EASE OF USE.

issue resolved and I dont really hate ipod.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
AP_piano295 said:
GAAAA new ipod video trying to figure out how to do all the video stuff AND ITS NOT EASY... I did everything on this

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

It all worked the video would play fine i itunes I moved it to the ipod and audio played and NO ViDEO THIS IS NOT APPLE EASE OF USE.

The video iPod is pretty easy to use when you use content from the iTunes store, and formats made to be played on the device. I hope you own the movies you are trying to put on the iPod, if you dont then im kinda glad it wont work... What you are complaining about is a 3rd party program which is NOT apple's problem.

Ed

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
If you can open the video in Quicktime (you need pro), you should be able to export it to a format the ipod will understand. Just note that it takes a LONG time to encode.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mikemodena said:
You're trying to drag .mov files onto your iPod, and the iPod will only open h.264 files (.m4v).
From the iPod tech specs page:
H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
i dont really hate it i just find if you insult the product u get responces quicker
I figured out the problem it was set to tv out I dont know why that would be the standard setting but it was.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Ed H said:
The video iPod is pretty easy to use when you use content from the iTunes store, and formats made to be played on the device. I hope you own the movies you are trying to put on the iPod, if you dont then im kinda glad it wont work... What you are complaining about is a 3rd party program which is NOT apple's problem.

Ed

yes I own the movie monk season three disk one. ohhhhh :)

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I use iSquint and it's a pretty decent app, but I must point out that I have been having a problem with it giving me non-stop error messages once it is about 99% done with my videos. Sometimes it will go through one or two just fine but it inevitably will fail and then I have to close the app and start again with the next video. The good thing though, is that I don't have to redo the erroneous video because it is just fine. So try as you will, it might work just fine for you and mine is just buggy.

Good Luck!

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Well, being that you apparently own the discs. You could also try MactheRipper that software is pretty slick and gives you tons of encoding options that work just fine with the video iPod.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
ITASOR said:
LOL! Oh, man...

I defy you to prove me wrong

ex. POWERBOOKS ARE F****** TERIBBLE WORST COMPUTERS EVER

ex2. Any Tips on Getting Rid of a Dead Pixel on a 15in Powerbook

see which gets more hits.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
AP_piano295 said:
I defy you to prove me wrong

ex. POWERBOOKS ARE F****** TERIBBLE WORST COMPUTERS EVER

ex2. Any Tips on Getting Rid of a Dead Pixel on a 15in Powerbook

see which gets more hits.

You are correct, but that is also a way to get negative attention from moderators and other users.

Similar tactics have resulted in wastelanded threads, and banned users. The fact that you have 2 threads on this same issue is not gaining you much brownie points, AND people have replied to that thread as well.

That and the fact that BOTH threads are in the wrong forum!

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
840quadra said:
You are correct, but that is also a way to get negative attention from moderators and other users.

Similar tactics have resulted in wastelanded threads, and banned users. The fact that you have 2 threads on this same issue is not gaining you much brownie points, AND people have replied to that thread as well.

That and the fact that BOTH threads are in the wrong forum!

Actually two issues, one is on personally created video that for some reason will not move to the ipod (which was resolved by one of the posters)

The seccond issue was with the ipods actual use of a file ripped from a DVD. (which as it turned out was caused by the ipods unusual standard settings.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
AP_piano295 said:
Actually two issues, one is on personally created video that for some reason will not move to the ipod, which I have resolved.

The seccond issue was with the ipods actual use of a file ripped from a DVD.

I stand corrected.

However with the rapport and support you were had from that thread, you could have easily asked your 2nd question in that thread without the added fireworks.

But I guess everyone is entitled to their way of asking (or screaming) for help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.