Gaaaaah! - Word X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, May 13, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

So all of a sudden my up-and-down scroll bar in Word has vanished. It was working fine a few hours ago. Then I closed Word on the iMac and went out by the pool on the iBook. Now I'm back inside (frickin' global warming) on the iMac and MY SCROLLBARS ARE GONE! Gaaaah! I've done everything short of a reboot (I'm on uptime day 7 :)) and am about to lose my mind. Has anyone seen this? Fixed it? Gaaaah!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Unless you have good reason not to reboot, try that first. If it continues there might be something wrong with the app file. Always reboot first though, before you play around with the system stuff.

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Gaaaaah! - Word X

LOL! :D

Hey, I'm on uptime 7 days, too, so just reboot, and we'll pretend you got as many days uptime as I get. :)

It's ok to reboot if it's a M$ app that forces you into it. You can tell everyone, "my Mac was up for 7days, ans the only reason I had to reboot it was because of a M$ app... typical..."

4. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

LOL. Well, I lost my 7 days uptime, and still no scroll bars. I mean, really.

(I scrounged around and found a mouse with a scroll wheel, so the immediate crisis is averted, but if I develop carpal tunnel, it's M$'s fault.)

OK, so how do I go about fixing it? Just scrap Word and reinstall it?

Grumblrgrumblemicro****grumble.

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Sometimes I lose scrollbars in programs like IE and it usually fixes by minimising or maximising the window and then putting it back..but your problem sounds way more serious..

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I thought we'd already found out what that was from... oh wait, that was hypothetical, wasn't it...

...or was it... ;)

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

i think you've set the page layout to online.. just go to view -> set it to page layout.

hope this solves your problem!

irmongoose

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

LOL. Damn, you've found me out.

It is on page layout. The bottom scroll bar appears just fine, but the side one is completely gone.

I'm going to try reinstalling in a bit to see if that takes care of it.

9. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Gah.

I finally got around to removing and re-installing MS Office, and still no scrollbars! WTF? Could this be an OS thing? (Although I'm not having scroll-bar issues anywhere else...)

10. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

OMG.

I am officially a moron.

There's a "show vertical scroolbar" check box in Preferences... somehow I must have unchecked it on accident while fiddling with something else.

::going to hide in a corner now::