* Gag!!! *

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

An ad for this book has started appearing at the bottom of some of these threads:

[​IMG]

Take a look at only a part of what the editorial review says:

Omigod...that conservatives list reads like Batman's Rogues Gallery.

For the second time in as many days, I'm almost beyond words.

"Thank you"??? "Thank you"?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well obviously something like this was bound to happen. There are plenty of Anti-Bush books around also.

You may argue the validity of what is written in any of them, but the Publisher's business is merely to look towards sales and revenue.

I am sure it will sell well.

I obviously haven't read this book, but I would find it hard-pressed to beat a Coulter book for sheer sensationalist tripe (to be polite).

3. Zaid macrumors 6502

The cult of the leader.

Soon ...

"From the desk of our illustrious leader, the respected and pious Dubya"

hopefully the bugger concentrates on internal stuff ... i can hope

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you forgot "His Majesty"...

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

indeed. i forget, what's the timetable for bush to have the military take a loyalty oath to him personally?

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...It's okay, I'm recovered now...sort of.... I still feel a bit dehydrated. Maybe a good stiff drink to get the bad taste out of my mouth....

Ugh. *Ahem.*

Okay. I guess what I see here is an effort to bestow upon Dubya the same kind of deification (should be defecation, but anyway...) that they've given in the past to Wretched Ronald Reagan. Heck, they could make Dubya into an even bigger hero: he's taken supply-side economics (and the resulting income stratification) to a whole new level.

Do us all a favor, please. If you see this book at Borders, place it where it belongs: in the science fiction section.

You know, I think I'm going to edit a "response" book, written from the liberal/moderate point of view, and I'd like each of you to contribute a chapter. And I'm going to see if John Kerry will write the introduction.

Here's a pre-production cover:

[​IMG]

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Mmmmm, mmmmm. The stuck pigs sure do squeal, don't they?

Ads for political books get stuck in political forums. I really love this Dem.Underground view of life that's shown here about who can say what about whom...

I know I'd never buy that book, and, most likely, not bother reading it were it given to me by a Bushoid. But I could care less about a Clinton- or Kerry-lauding book, either.

And I sure wouldn't whine about an ad...

:D:D:D,

'Rat

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's called "satire," 'Rat, and I for one got a real good laugh out it.

Excellent work, Mr. Veil.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL

Thanks for what I think is a vote of confidence in my opinions and outlook on life in the US. I only wish that I could be considered the same light as those conservative voices listed for this book. While I may not agree with them, they do have the ear of the public.

11. Zaid macrumors 6502

remins me of a joke that was making the rounds when georgie came over for a sleepover at tony's

George Bush met The Queen, and he turns round and says: "As I'm the President, I'm thinking of changing how the country is referred to, and I'm thinking that it should be a Kingdom."

The Queen replies "I'm sorry Mr. Bush, but to be a Kingdom, you have to have a King in charge - and you're not a King."

George Bush thought a while and then said: "How about a Principality then?"

To which the Queen replied "Again, to be a Principality you have to be a Prince - and you're not a Prince, Mr. Bush".

Bush thought long and hard and came up with "How about an Empire then?"

The Queen, getting a little annoyed by now, replies "Sorry again, Mr. Bush, but to be an Empire you must have an Emperor in charge - and you are not an Emperor."

Before George Bush could utter another word, the Queen said: "I think you're doing quite nicely as a Country."

* :D :D An old'n but a good'n :D :D

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IJ, I think your comment about satire be directed more toward

"Omigod...that conservatives list reads like Batman's Rogues Gallery.

For the second time in as many days, I'm almost beyond words."

I was commenting about the apparent non-satire belief in a non-satire ad.

Like I said, I don't bother with such books. Too much like G. Stein's Oakland.

:), 'Rat

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think we can agree that these sorts of books are empty calories, but no less worthy of satire for all that. Satire is in the eye of the beholder; if it wasn't, it probably wouldn't be satire.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lol on the new book cover. and i get an essay! woo-hoo!

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

There will always be unsrupulous opportunists who are given a pass.

perhaps not attributable to P.T. Barnum, link.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Very good work, Mr Veil.

On a side note, I wonder about satire when things are already absurd.

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Then there is this, although it could, of course, have been more effective if left in the original german. :eek:

Attached Files:

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Sayhey, where (and when) is that image from? Trying to to read the small print, it seems to say that it is "public service announcement" brought by Clear Channel. Who is behind this?

I find that to be a disturbing billboard. In part because it is Bush, but more aptly, because it seems to deify the President (whomever it may be). Does this set a precendent? I do not like it either way.

19. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I would really like to write something for F*** you Bush.

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How true. When real life gets this surreal, it's hard to top it.

Subtle, Sayhey. Very subtle. ;) :p

And thanks, one and all, for the compliments on my book cover. Glad you found it amusing.

21. Zaid macrumors 6502

Of course in a 60 yrs time, people will be saying:

Then there is this, although it could, of course, have been more effective if left in the original american.

:p :p

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, blackfox, I went to sleep and missed your post. It is indeed from a Clear Channel billboard outside Orlando, Florida. I should have given a link, but I just grabbed the image from one of the many websites talking about the billboard after hearing about it on Air America. Here is one and here is another - although the latter has some clearly photoshopped images of the original that are "interesting." I don't doubt its existence.

Most people would have no problem if the billboard just said "our President," but the use of the word "leader" harkens back to another world "leader" who went by that title some sixty years ago. Thomas, if I'm still being too subtle for some (I thought I was being as subtle as a two-by-four across the forehead ;)) could you confirm the translation of "Der Führer"?

23. Zaid macrumors 6502

Our leader == Unser Führer

Der Führer == the leader

(pretty certain about this, though my German is rubbish :) )

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You are correct. Verified by my German-English dictionary.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

correct but of course the phrase "der Führer" isn't used very often..(and not at all for/by politicians...)
    but there are a lot of german words who use it in a different combination where it's perfectly fine like "der Bergführer", "der Anführer" etc.

similiar,but worse, happened to the word "Heil" which is nothing more than a greeting... and in some parts still in use in it's original greeting form (not in the leader-cult saluting form) ..including Voralberg where i grew up so i'm perfectly fine using "heil" ,heile" as greeting under good/close friends for example...