Gah. I need a job.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iShane, Jul 8, 2006.

1. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I need some good job ideas. I am only 14 and I am afraid that might worry some people. I would like to do something with computers but I'm not a pro. Maybe I could get people started or something. I don't know but I am looking for any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

2. CompUser Guest

Lawn Mowing? Web & Brochure Design?

You can always volunteer doing something computer related such as brochures and powerpoints at your Town Hall (many of the old farts working there probably don't know know MS Office inside and out). Keep track of your volunteer hours because it helps you get college scholarships and looks good on your college resume. Doing that type of work may also turn into a paying job eventually.

3. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think everyone around here gets their lawn mowed by a landscaper :rolleyes:.

Also I just got done with a community service project.

Oh and I'll check into web design. I just took a class for it.

4. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

or the local grocery store
    or other service type store

flower shop...etc

depending on the state laws
    being only 14= u may have to get a special permit to work....

another idea- would be work 'under the table' for friends parents
    making copies @ an office, doing a mailing for someone, cleaning out a garage...etc

5. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

When I was thirteen I got a job taping down cables on sets of film shoots. It was good enough pay, but what was important was I learned all the other aspects of production. When I was fifteen I got to run B-cam on some commercials and at some sporting events. When I was seventeen I got to A-cam. After that I proceeded to learn digital editing and compositing.

You gotta know to start at the bottom of the ladder. You can work your way up, I did. When I was sixteen I was the only one of my friends that bought his own car w/ a phat stereo and had money to do fun things.

Start small and remember to enjoy your childhood. You only get the one.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Ususally if you want to do computer work you have to be a little bit older, unless you know someone on hte inside and they know your skills. You are better off just going to your local grocery store and looking for a job.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nice one. At 14 I was only doing babysitting, paper delivery and car-washing. :D

To the OP: you're possibly better off looking for casual cash-in-hand work in your neighbourhood rather than a 'job'. There are some good suggestions earlier in the thread; have your parents got any ideas or contacts by any chance?

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

As mentioned above. Talk to neighbours, friends, parents, teachers, etc. I got a job from a friend of a teacher at my school proofreading internal articles for a Swedish company called DeLaval. It pays 2 RMB per word... about 30 cents. Not bad. I proofread 1000 words (figure 2-3 articles) and I'm in 300 bucks.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

I always recommend bussing tables to my neices and nephews. Usualy good tips, no customers (generally), and all you have to do is truck dishes back and forth to the dishroom.

Good way to get yourself into waiting tables at some point, too, which is about the best "unskilled" money you can make.

Good luck. :)

10. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I will check with my parents as they have some friends who have buisnesses around town and I also heard that a restaurant close to my home needed a bus boy so I will check that out also.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I mean I don't know what state you're in, but I know many states prohibit non farm work for people your age until your at least 15 so i wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

One thing that popped out at me was iGary's advice about being a busboy, and thats not a horrible idea. I personally would instead aim at getting a job at a smaller restaurant where they will train you as a waitress / server or a host to start and then move to a nicer restaurant later on. I just know that in general the people I have as busy boys do not have the personality to be a waiter, this is a generality, but you want that great personality with customers first, and the restaurant skills you can build yourself