Gah! No frickin' A/Cs anywhere!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheMonarch, Jul 23, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I cannot believe this. It so damn hot over here. I just spent the entire day looking for an air conditioner only to find that they're no where to be found. Home improvement store after home improvement store.

Nothing... :(

Its almost 7pm, and its 87 degrees where I live (Bay Area).

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Man, that sucks, it is hard to imagine life without AC. Hopefully you find an AC unit soon blaskillet4 :eek:

I love kicking back in my room, typing here on MacRumors, and having the central air keep the house nice and cool. :)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I know how the heat feels because it was over 110F in orange county today. And the Air Conditioner is broken here too. But mom just came home with several 20" box fans and I have the room with the breeze. My computer just happens to be near that window and the fan is 6 inches away from me :D. (But now I can't listen to my iPod because the fan is so dang loud. It's keeping me cool though. I was sweating like crazy before the fan came because it was OVER 90F [aprox. 33C] in the house and my room is the hottest room in the house)

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

We don't have AC and it's been in the 90's all week here. 95 F the other day...I'm used to not having AC so it doesn't really bother me.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, I think that I would pass out in that heat! :eek:

But I guess that if live in the heat like that all of the time, that you would get acclimated to it. :eek:

6. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Its usually never this hot over here in the bay area, and I've never had A/C. But it got so unbearable that I decided It was time to get one. Just my luck :(

While driving around even my car's AC was having trouble keeping me cool.

Several stores had signs posted in the entrance saying that ACs and fans were out of stock.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Mine just died recently, so I have to take it in for repair. :(

8. fuzzwud macrumors regular

Visit a meat or seafood wholesaler if you don't mind the smell :)

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

ideas:
    • put some ice in front of a fan and turn it on.
    • set the oven to "cold"
    • use this as the perfect excuse to just sit around in your underwear, or a swimsuit if you are so inclined!
    • hang out and wait for a gang to steal your kidney. When you wake up, you'll be in a bathtub full of ice!
    • make a tent, where one wall is the refrigerator.
    • hang out in the freezer section of a grocery store

ok, this is basically a rehashing of a simpsons episode, but most of those are good ideas. :)

It's such a foreign concept for me to not be in a building with central A/C. I guess living in texas has slightly spoiled me in that regard. :p

I think you're stuck with a newspaper and physically fanning yourself. :(

Good luck finding an AC!

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

• Or to simply sit around nekkid™! ;) :D

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

12. Lebowski macrumors 6502

yea, it hit 118 here two days ago, and thats pretty normal for a good part of our summers.

although i DO think its silly that SO many people across the US dont have AC in there homes. I dont care if it only gets hot 2 days a year.

Here in phoenix, it almost NEVER snows or gets too cold ( in the metro area that is) yet, i own cold weather clothes.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Now that is some hot weather Lebowski! :eek:

Although, I guess that you don't have humidity in Arizona the way we do up here in Pennsylvania. :)

14. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Believe me, it wasn't 87 degrees before 7pm. It was in the triple digits yesterday.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Which is a great reason to want to have AC. :)

16. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

17. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

:eek: :eek: :eek:

@ 40-96 pounds for a tiny window AC, shipping gets quite ridiculous.

18. Cfg5 macrumors regular

19. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

No anvil :(

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Oh yes, shipping for such a heavy item would be rather expensive- you might just want to wait to find one local. :)

21. Lebowski macrumors 6502

while for the most part, we dont get much humidity here, sometimes during the monsoons it can get sticky.

I was at the Indy500 this year and suposedly, it was one of the hottest days for the race ever. It was in the mid 90s with 80-90% humidity. It was brutal. I can deal with 120 degrees, as long as there is no humidity. As far as i am concerned, 90 degrees with 90% is horrible. I could never live somewhere that was like that in the summer. You cant even breathe.

22. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I live in Louisiana, where it's both hot AND humid. We had a heat index of 110 the other day. That's hot, but... maybe only a tad hotter than it normally is here during this time of the year. You can't stand in the shade to avoid the heat, either... it's just as hot.

And I've never acclimated to this weather. Always just have to bear with it.

Why do you people have homes without A/C units? I'm just so used to seeing either central air or box fans in EVERY house in this region.

23. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Up here in New England, the humidity finally dropped today. The air is now dry and a balmy 62F here at my house. I know it will not last, but I am enjoying while I can. :)

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hottest temperature I've ever been in was when I was living in Phoenix as a kid (Air Force brat) and it was 51°C (124°F).

Hottest I can remember here was New Year's Day this year when it was about 46°C (115°F) in the shade with just a lick of humidity - you can't get a totally dry day here at the beach but with the sun coming directly in my westerly facing windows it was well over 55°C (131°F) in my apartment. Everything metal felt hot to the touch, my power cables felt like rope - and this was with the blinds closed to keep out much of the sun. My watch was in a small beam of sunlight and when I put it on it burnt me, properly too, got a blister from it.

It was such a horrible day, I'd have hated to be nursing a hangover as well. We got a big southerly change in that night (a proper ol' fashioned Southerly Buster) and the temperature finally came back below 40°C at around 9pm and kept going down. New Year's Day = max 46°C, the day after = max 21°C - now that's what you call a Southerly Buster...

25. mopppish macrumors 6502

Can I step up on a soapbox for a minute here?
    The more that we humans depend on climate control to keep us comfortable and use the energy to make that happen (which usually has a negative effect on the environment), the hotter and more humid it's going to get. By blasting our ACs at home and in our cars, we will eventually only create a greater need for them later on when we could live just fine now (though a little sweaty) without them. Granted, I may be speaking a little soon, but I'm positive that in the not-so-distant future this will become a legitimate argument.
    Does anyone else agree with that at all, or am I just a paranoid pseudo-environmentalist?