Gahh! Tiger killed Amorphium!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hotwire132002, Nov 13, 2005.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, I recently upgraded my G5 from OS 10.3 to 10.4 Tiger, after which I discovered that my 3D modeling software, Amorphium, won't run on Tiger! I checked the company's (electric image) web site, and "due to major differences in the way Tiger renders windows" they won't release a fix anytime soon. :( They say the work-around is to run Amorphium in Classic, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks to these problems, I'm looking for a new 3D program. I don't want to pay a boatload - but I need something that will keep me running. (Keep in mind this is for commerical use, so something like Maya PLE won't work for me.)

I use Amorphium mostly for 3D Motion Graphics work, largely for rendering 3D logo animations. I'm quite familiar with the software, and I really don't want to spend a ton of time learning a new system.

I don't know if anyone might have any suggestions for me, but I'm at a loss for any ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Horray for flying llama's! :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those programs.

In other news.... I got Amorphium to open in Classic... but it crashes whenever I try to open a file. :mad:

Therefore, I've now lost access to years of 3D work - All my 3D logos, motion graphics, etc. Needless to say, I'm rather frustrated right now.

Any ideas as to how I might be able to get back to those files? (other than downgrading to 10.3, not an option.)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why can't you downgrade?

could get a FW external drive, install Panther on there and use that to run and use your app if you don't want to downgrade your machine

5. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

That is definitely why proprietary formats suck, I avoid them when I can. :( If there's an export function in Amorphium, find access to a system that it will work on and try to export your files to another format. If that's not an option, i'm stumped...

And yes, horray to flying llamas! :D

llama

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

It looks like there's a form of Export, so I can try that out at some point. In the mean time, I'm testing out options for a new program.

Thanks again!

7. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Update

Just an update - I just updated to Amorphium 3.1 (I was running 3.0) and now it will at least run in Classic.

This may actually have been a blessing in disguise - Amorphium seems to run much, much faster in Classic than OS X. (Render-wise, at least.)

I'll keep you all updated, but for now it looks like I have a work-around. :)

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It's crashing again. :(

EDIT EDIT ;): I think I fixed the problem. If I double-click a file in the "Open File" dialog, it crashes. If I click the "Open" button, it works. Excellent programming, EI. :rolleyes:

EDIT EDIT EDIT :rolleyes:: Well, it's certainly a workaround - although Amorphium is working under OS 9, it crashes a *ton*. I'm still working on finding another solution (and checking out the programs the flying llama told me about :D), but in the mean time I guess I'll have to live with the crashing.

8. Bitman macrumors member

Blender and 10.4.3

I am having UI display problems with Blender after 10.4.3 upgrade. Not all UI displaying properly and some UI interactivity broken.

bit

G5 2.5
    NVIDIA 6800 GT
    23" Cinema Display

9. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

As I don't know a thing about 3D modeling, I haven't installed it, so I couldn't say. Try e-mailing them, or be on the watch for updates.
    Oh and good luck hotwire132002. :D

llama

10. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks. Right now, I'm working with Amorphium in Classic. However, I'm working on finding a new solution, since it doesn't look like Amorphium is being developed any more.

I'm hoping for some form of 3D in Motion 3 - If it can do some sort of logo animation, I'm all set. (Hey, I can dream, can't I? ;) )